Re: AT&T Doesn't Like My Last Name

In TELECOM Digest V25 #126, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote (in part):

The "new" AT&T (formerly SBC, my local phone company) sent me > a form letter stating that my user ID does not comply with > their new rules and needs to be changed, or they will > terminate the online access to my account. My AT&T user ID > happens to be my last name (semenzato), same as my user ID > everywhere else. > It complies with all AT&T rules except possibly their > profanity clause. This is the first time anybody suggests to > me that the first part of my last name is a profanity (seems > more like a technical term to me). I let them know that I > was quite offended and they should fix their filter to skip > the profanity check for certain variations of the customer's > name. Their response was another form letter stating, among > other nonsense, that "though this may be a temporary > inconvenience, we are certain you will appreciate the efforts > we have taken to protect your information."

If AT&T (SBC) is providing your local phone service, then they're almost certainly subject to regulation by your state public utilities/service commission (see

formatting link
or phone directory blue pages).

I suggest you file a complaint with that commission that AT&T is violating your civil rights by discriminating against you, based on the ethnicity of your family name, in providing service. You could also try pointing out the discrimination to AT&T contacts, or even to local news media.

That should get you some attention above the drone level at AT&T.

Paul A Lee Sr Telecom Engineer Rite Aid Corporation WP-IS-COM (Telecomm) V: +1 717 791-6408

5280 Simpson Ferry Rd, Mechanicsburg, PA 17050 F: +1 717 791-6406 P.O. Box 3165, Harrisburg, PA 17105-3165 C: +1 717 805-6208
Reply to
Paul A Lee
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.