Re: Are any of the #5 Crossbar offices still in service?

T wrote:

> >> Interesting history! I'm reading the "Switching Technologies" book right >> now and I seem to recall that Bell experimented with common control for >> things like SxS and even better CC for #1 and #5 Crossbars. > >I can only speak to the history of Pacific Telephone. In the Los >Angeles area they had a whole bunch of both urban and suburban steppers. > Bell Labs/Western Electric could never get common control to work for >steppers. So, they installed a crossbar switch in each C.O. to handle >the common control requirements for regional toll and nationwide direct >dialing. Those crossbars were also growth end-office machines.

I was a Switchman in one of those offices in the late 60's. Wilmington CA

[snip]
Reply to
Roy
Loading thread data ...

In that era Pasadena had a giant stepper serving almost all of the area, with one small XBAR unit doing the toll and seving only one office code. I believe the XBAR was installed in time for the cut to nationwide direct dialing (1959 or so?)

Reply to
Sam Spade

So Roy... Spin us a yarn or two about the good or the bad days, the really interesting things or the really dumb things that happened during your time with steppers or crossbar...

Reply to
Al Gillis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.