Re: Apple Computer 30th Birthday

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Lisa, we _need_ a good article on

> disk drives for our archives in the history section. Would you > mind preparing one I could keep on file here? PAT]

Yes, I'm trying to put something together in time for the annivesary. I don't know if IBM is doing anything or not.

In short:

In the early 1950s Tom Watson Jr, now president of IBM, wanted to attract promising college grads from the west coast, but they weren't interested in coming east. So he established a new IBM library in San Diego. Previously IBM facilities was mostly in the NY state area based on train travel. Watson Jr was very much into aviation, being a WW II air corp pilot.

IBM recognized it needed a random access memory instead of just tape. The mag drum of the time was too small. They developed the disk drive. They had to invent a very flat surface, even dispersal of mag coating, a disk arm mechanism, a disk read write head, a way to ensure the thing would fall down on the platter yet stay close enough to read/write; and a way to randomize records.

It was announced as a product in Sept 1956. For such a momentus product, the business and trade press of the day were largely silent, just a minor few lines mentioned IBM announced some new products.

The earliest disk drive held only 5 meg--5 million characters. Then they got it up to 50. The disk was HUGE and part of a bigger machine. It was very expensive.

It some years to get the cost down and space up, and then disks was available in other products. But for many years tape was the way to go. Even the early PCs had provision to connect a tape drive (actually an ordinary audio cassette recorder) for lowcost storage, but soon disks got so cheap it wasn't needed and tape was too slow.

The IBM history web page, on their site, has more information.

Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.