Re: ANI vs. Caller ID [Telecom]

On Sun, Jun 07, 2009 at 06:59:20PM -0700, Steven Lichter wrote: > snipped-for-privacy@bbs.cpcn.com wrote: > >On Jun 7, 4:13 pm, snipped-for-privacy@bbs.cpcn.com wrote: > >

>>***** Moderator's Note ***** > >> > >>In the end, we agree. Such changes need backing from those in power, > >>but powerful people do not obtain their position by tilting at > >>windmills. > >> > >>Forcing major corporations to bear the expense of verifying CLID > >>information is asking for trouble, and savvy politicians never make > >>an enemy when they don't have to. > > > >I remembered a current example. In our town, the municipal utility > >charges a very high fixed charge, even if you use no services. Some > >of us feel that it is unfair to small users who end up paying more per > >unit than other users. When asked to go to a more usage-based rate > >system (with no change in overall revenues), some commissioners dug in > >their heels and made a long speech how that would be fiscally > >imprudent, violate the bond holder convenants, etc. It was all B/S. > >Some new commissioners were appointed and the rates will be changed. > >It does NOT affect the bond holders as was claimed. > > > >Now certain users will be upset since they will pay more, but they've > >been getting a big break for some years. The point is that the > >commissioners know they'll upset those users, but other users will be > >happy. > > > >So what we were told for years was "impossible" suddenly became quite > >easily done. > > > >***** Moderator's Note ***** > > > >I'm very surprised that a municipality would assess a flat fee for > >services which vary by household: please tell me what town this is. > > > >Bill Horne > >Temporary Moderator

Our city electric and water has a customer charge for each service even though it is read at the same time and on the same bill, also have all kinds of fees including tax on the usage even though it is city owned. What I have told them they should just list those fees and pick our pockets so the city can have more money to spend on it office holders going all over the world for things that have nothing to do with their jobs.

Reply to
Steven Lichter
Loading thread data ...

This is not surprising. There is a fixed cost per account (billing, meter reading, and some of the amortization of the physical plant). E.g. my water bill includes charges for water testing on a per-account basis, and stormwater runoff control, on the basis of the permeable area of my lot. Those things are not related to how much water I use. Then there is a variable cost (determined by how much you consume). It would be a matter of law whether the taxes apply to services operated by a municipality, but usually they do. (Private utilities would scream bloody murder if their customers had to pay tax but municipal customers did not.)

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garland

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.