Re: [telecom] ANI vs. Caller ID [Telecom]

And in the penultimate example, suppose you buy all the land and the

> telco; so you own it and the local police dept. and everything else. > That's what Disney did in the Reedy Creek Improvement District.

And businesses have to pay taxes to Disney. Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

***** Moderator's Note *****

Not exactly telecom, but I'm allowing it because it touches on other threads and raises interesting questions.

Such as:

1. Is the Walt Disney Corporation the government in Disneyworld? If I commit a crime there, will I be arrested by a Disney employee and thrown into a Disney jail?

1. Is the phone company in Disneyworld owned by Disney? Could they refuse to allow/accept calls to/from other businesses, cities, or countries that they don't choose to?

2. Is Disney the ISP for Disneyworld? Could/do they monitor/censor the sites I visit or the emails I send and receive while I'm there?

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Reply to
Wesrock
Loading thread data ...

No, of course not. Government is a broad term. WDW is in the State of Florida, and the County of Orlando. Depending on the nature of the infraction, either could be called upon to assist with a criminal investigation. That said, just like many other private educational and commercial facilities, Disney maintains it's own security force and can enforce it's own security rules. I haven't checked, but it wouldn't surprise me if Disney's security people weren't also deputized by the county or state such that if they observed a law being broken, they could detain the individual until government law enforcement arrived.

Certainly - just as with any other company, Disney can do what it likes with it's internal phone system. If there are any private payphones on property, Disney can set whatever rules it likes for their use, just as any other private payphone operator can, subject to whatever rules Florida imposes on that type of business.

I wouldn't be surprised if Disney operates it's own common cell tower system, just like the Phoenix Cardinals do in their new stadium. Companies wishing to serve the property bring their line to a common interface point and Disney takes it from there. Keeps antennas from springing up like barncles all over the place and ensures a quality signal reaches everywhere.

That rather depends on who you are using as an ISP while you are there, doesn't it? If you have a broadband card, no. If you just fire up your wifi card and connect to a Disney AP, then yes, they probably could. Still no different than anywhere else off Disney property.

I think a lot of the confusion stems from the previous reference to Reedy Creek Improvement District. IIRC, Disney set that up to operate certain services that area traditionally provided by local government (water, sewer, fire, etc.). Since the Disney propery is so huge, those services weren't available. Presumably by making RCID a quasi public group, they qualified for the same funding and tax authority that a local government would have.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Years ago the security for Knots Berry Farm in California were off duty Orange County Sheriffs Deputies, don't know about that today. [Moderator snip]

Reply to
Steven Lichter

It's far deeper than that. WD is the local/regional govt. True, if you want to build a nuke you'd need the NRC to sign off, but short of that kind of thing, The Mouse is in control.

Note that Disney owns the ILEC, not just a CLEC....

They set it up so that they had ABSOLUTE control of the land. The only "residents" aka voters are a ~~?dozen? senior Disney employees. RCID gets to float tax free bonds on the Florida's back. RCID sets its own building code/zoning/land use rules free of pesky outsider gripes. They even de-annexed Celebration, FL so as not to have THOSE voters in the picture.

They even have eminent domain *outside* RCID's boundaries. Even Richard Daley would be jealous of the Mouse..

Reply to
David Lesher

Yes, actually. The cities of Lake Buena Vista and Bay Lake are controlled by the Disney company, and cover the WDW resort. Look them up on Wikipedia. Each has a tiny population of about 20, all Disney employees and their families. They're in Osceola county, by the way, not Orange county where Orlando is located.

The LEC is Smart City Telecom, which in 2001 bought Vista-United, which was a joint venture by Disney and what was then Sprint-United. It is a real regulated telco, and also services the nearby businesses and the residents of Celebration, the town that Disney built.

To tie in with another discussion, Vista-United was the first, perhaps still the only, LEC in the country to disallow pulse dialing, since they had no pre-tone customers.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.