Re: 911 operators couldn't trace the location of a dying

For 45 minutes after Shen called 911, five police officers, three

> firefighters and a police dog searched in vain for the student. All > they had was a general area encompassing two apartment > buildings. They eventually gave up without finding Shen.

My first question is if this was basically a sad tragic accident, but a very rare occurrence.

I thought cell phones have GPS that the police can access. But I guess apartment complexes make that a challenge since they two dimension (sic) and high density.

The flip side of this is how far do we want police tracking to go. Would we want the police to bang on every door in the apt buildings, and bust in those that don't answer? Do we want police to have the ability to track us via our cell phones everywhere we go?

Do we want to return to landlines where the exact address is duly recorded and instantly displayed to police? Should our apartments have emergency call buttons?

As an aside, there is a TV show, Chicago P.D. where they heavily use computers and telecom to track suspects. Likewise in Law & Order SVU. I don't know if those shows accurately represent technology today, but the privacy aspects are troubling. Chicago P.D. had one episode where their facial recognition incorrectly identified a suspect, and resulted in the suspect's unnecessary death.

Reply to
HAncock4
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.