Re: 25 cps Power, was: Tie Lines was Re: Foreign Exchange Lines

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com writes:

>> Danny Burste>> (Fred Harvey and the Santa Fe Railroad were associated from some time >> in the late 1800s.) >> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Remember also the "Harvey Girls" who >> were like 'stewardesses' on the Santa Fe trains and the 1940's movie >> about the Harvey Girls, and they were always singing that song about >> the railroad ... how did it go? Something about " ... my day, and the >> Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe ..." > Tying this (barely) into the thread currently running about WU clocks, > part of the lyrics went: > See the old smoke risin' 'round the bend, > I reckon that she knows she's gonna meet a friend, > Folks around these parts get the time of day, > From the Atchison, Topeka, and the Santa Fe. > Joe Morris > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Right you are, I do not have any prize > for you, however. The AT&SF railroad _originally_ ran between > Atichson, Kansas, through Topeka, Kansas and southwestward on to Santa > Fe, New Mexico. Then, as Chicago became the railroad capitol of > America (start of 20th century) the AT&SF continued pushing eastward, > making its new terminus at Dearborn Station in Chicago, and relocating > its headquarters in the 'Santa Fe Building' at Jackson Blvd. and > Michigan Avenue in downtown Chicago. I hear your question now: ... > ... *what was/is 'Dearborn Station'?* Well, along with Union Station > (Canal Street and Madison) which still exists and is now the terminus > for most intercity railroad traffic, there were Dearborn Station > (Dearborn and Harrison Streets), Grand Central Station, (Baltimore & > Ohio RR, Chesapeake RR's and others at Harrison and Wells Streets), > Central Station (Illinois Central RR at Michigan and Roosevelt Road), > LaSalle Street Station (various lines, LaSalle and Van Buren Streets) > Northwestern Station (Canal and Randolph Streets) and others. All are > gone, except for Northwestern Station and Union Station, and the > various railroads still offering passenger service all merged their > depots/terminals into one of those two locations.

"Not exactly" applies.

La Salle station (as the name at least), a rebuilt, greatly reduced facility, still exists, and has commuter service (only) running out of it. Tracks terminate a bit south of Congress Ave.

'Central Station' also nominally still exists; in use by electrified inter-urban (Illinois & South Shore Rwy) to Gary-Hammond.

All long-distance passenger rail (AMTRAK) is out of Union station, With commuter rail out of Union and Northwestern stations, as well as the aforementioned La Salle and Central stations.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Begging pardon, sir. I was talking about _inter-city_ rail traffic, not a commuter line. Furthermore, the physical platform approximatly at Roosevelt and Michigan Avenue is known by the suburban trains -- the only ones going through there now -- as 'Roosevelt Road', not as 'Central Station'. The Central Station building was torn down several years ago. PAT]
Reply to
Robert Bonomi
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.