Re: 2002220000 Given as Caller ID

FYI:

> There is a VOIP service allowing individuals to make free voice over > ip calls worldwide. That id showed up on my cell phone too. Ask your > friends if they are calling you using an internet phone! > Hope this helps, > Mark > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I've had some interesting phone calls > lately where the caller ID was given as 'Unknown 119' and 'Unknown 103'. > They were overseas calls from Nigeria looking for Lisa when she was > not here one day. Playing along with them, I found out they were doing > the Nigerian scam. They may have not been in Nigeria, but they certainly > did not speak English as I know it. The calls came in on my Vonage > VOIP line (which terminates on the PBX but goes through caller ID first.) > PAT]

I recently had occasion to call Pakistan using a "dial-around" carrier in the US. The call appeared on the Pakistani's cell phone as a local call in Islamabad, meaning it was handled as a VOIP call. Some less-developed countries have made a major effort to prevent VOIP. However, it is my understanding that they are not successful for any length of time before the VOIP people figure out a work-around.

Reply to
Marcus Didius Falco
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.