Model 15 RO Teletype available (OT) [telecom]

In a message dated 8/11/2010 8:04:33 PM Central Daylight Time, the Telecom Digest Moderator commented:

I worked for five years in a wire service office with many professional operators who did so regularly. Even I got so I could do it, staring even on a basketball box score. I found that was some of the most challenging copy, since teletypes did not use tabs and you had to judge where the column would be by using the space bar and watching the counter. We had professional operators for all the major wires, but for some the editors/reporters/editors did their own punching. Press wires run virtually continuously, not intermittently, and a lot of the copy is moved in real time, not archived or prepunched. The continuous operation of press wires comes as a shock to some operator not accustomed to the operation. We had a (professional) operator, a 70-year-old woman, who retired at the mandatory retirement age from Western Union. At W.U. the traffic comes and goes, not continuously. She was determined to conquer the continuous operation, and she succeeded, becoming a really sharp operator and one that wire filers enjoyed working with. Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

***** Moderator's Note *****

Wes, I apologize: I didn't mean to infer that you were incorrect, only that I don't understand the Teletype mechanism well enough to figure out how it was possible to get ahead of the reader.

The operators in the Order Bureau at New England Telephone were able to "Type ahead" of the readers on Model 28 machines, and I could get ahead of the reader on the Model 19 now and then. ;-)

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Wes Leatherock
Loading thread data ...

Yes indeed you could hear the bell (not the puny sound at the end of a line). I believe the bureau in which I worked (Dallas) had 14 Teletypes arranged in an oval around an oblong desk. Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Wes Leatherock

I don't know where there would be the physical capoability to patch together AP, UP and INS wires. (INS was a third service then and had not yet been acquired by UP.) Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Wes Leatherock

Well, this IS a telcom forum. It would be technically trivial to do so at the wire center. And then and now, there are pool arrangements. I can't say that's what happened; it's also possible that they ran the same tape, started at the same time.

Reply to
David Lesher

That's only when the Model 19 set was in "Keyboard-Tape" mode, so that the keyboard ran the signal generator as well as the punch. (Which is necessary if you want to get local copy on the printer of what you are punching) If you put the set in "Tape" mode then the keyboard runs the punch alone, punching "blind", and can go considerably faster than the signal generator. There are also keyboard perforators that don't do anything else, and they can run pretty fast.

Reply to
Jim Haynes

You must be referring to something other than the first report Japan was going to surrender. Perhaps the actual signing aboard the battleship. The "flash" message in such a case is really only ceremonious. As you say, tying the circuits together at the telegraph testboard somewhere is physically trivial. But the testboard isn't going to do it without an order--perhaps three orders--and the paperwork (whether actually on paper of simply oral) is certainly non-trivial and would take some time, including the consent of all three bitter competitors, and their agreement as to what text would be transmitted. Almost certainly would require review by the lawyers, too. I could offer the story of the "real" flash when Japan announced it would surrender, but I think it may be one of several such tales and nothing near as neat as you describe. All breaking news is messy at first, at least all really breaking real news. Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Wes Leatherock

In the ap[plications I am familiar with, the copy was not printed when the tape was punched. If the tape was actually transmitted, that was the printed copy. Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Wes Leatherock

Wasn't this message received at the RCA maritime station in San Francisco? RCA had been operating coast stations in the Point Reyes area (originated by Marconi, but taken over by the U.S. government from the Italians after World War I and then sold to RCA), with a control point and personnel in San Francisco at Mission and South Van Ness Avenue I believe.

Ah, I found it. Here is a web page about the station and the surrender:

formatting link

Reply to
David Kaye

Just wanted to jump in here and say "THANKS" for helping me to solve a radio mystery! On the NPR quiz show, "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me!" -- which originates from WBEZ in Chicago -- the program introduction features some strange radio whistling noises (which sound like they're coming from an old super-regenerative receiver!), and then the letters "EBCD" sent in Morse Code at about 8 wpm. I had absolutely no clue what "EBCD" stood for, so I Googled it, and I was immediately directed to your site. I now understand that "EBCD" was a punch card (or perhaps a punch tape?) coding format used to drive early-generation computers or teleprinters. As to why WBEZ is using "EBCD" as a baffling Morse Code introduction to their quiz program, I have absolutely no clue. But I'm glad the mystery has been solved anyway!

TNX es VY 73! (de KB1F)

Reply to
Dana Prescott

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.