Lucent MLX phone behavior [Telecom]

I just acquired a Lucent MLX-10DP phone but don't have a compatible Merlin system; I plugged it into a Merlin Plus (820D) and subsequently found a description of the RJ-45 pin assignments which showed that power (-48VDC) is on pair 4 for MLX as opposed to pair 3 for ATL phones. Later I supplied -48VDC to the correct pair to the MLX phone but even though internally I can read 5VDC on various parts, the LCD remains blank and no LEDs light. Should there be any sign of life with just DC applied? I have a suspicion that the phone was defective beforehand but would like to know how a good one should behave with only DC and no other signals applied to it.

Also how likely are the station ports on the 820D into which the MLX was plugged to have been damaged by it? It would seem unlikely unless

48V were somehow looped back to the control pair.

TIA,

Michael

Reply to
Michael Grigoni
Loading thread data ...

The MLX phone will not work on the ATL port that you find on the Merlin Plus - It will only work on an MLX port on a Merlin Legend or Merlin Magix

***** Moderator's Note *****

A. Because it distracts readers by interrupting the normal top-to-bottom flow of a written communication.

Q. Why is top-posting bad?

Reply to
TouchToneTommy

Thanks you for your reply; I realize that the MLX phone won't work on a Merlin Plus, but I wondered if the LCD would display anything or any of the LEDs would lite with just 48VDC applied to the phone (independent of any connection to a controller).

Michael

Reply to
Michael Grigoni

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.