India government bans all Chinese telecom gear [telecom]

Thomas K. Thomas New Delhi, April 28

The Government has officially told mobile operators not to import any equipment manufactured by Chinese vendors, including Huawei and ZTE.

Though the Department of Telecom had been informally telling the operators to keep away from Chinese telecom equipment, this is the first time that it has sent an order banning Chinese gear.

The order was sent out by the DoT on Tuesday to some of the operators that were planning to buy equipment from Chinese manufacturers. The ban order follows concerns raised by the Home Ministry that telecom equipment from some countries could have spyware or malware that gives intelligence agencies across the border access to telecom networks in India.

The Government had earlier banned import of Chinese handsets without IMEI number. The DoT move is a huge blow to ZTE and Huawei that are betting big on the Indian market. ZTE had a record-breaking performance in the last fiscal in India by registering a 50 per cent increase in sales compared with the previous year. The ban also puts the new mobile operators in a quandary as most were banking on attractive financing schemes by Chinese vendors to purchase network equipment.

The biggest gainers from the move could be European and American vendors that have been losing market share to aggressive Chinese equipment-makers.

Reply to
Thad Floryan
Loading thread data ...

One wonders if these governments have has a close look at ALL the equipment provided by other vendors from other countries over the years.

What guarantee is there that the Cisco IOS (as an example) does not have various "back-doors" and other disguised monitoring code buried in it for ready access by US intelligence agencies?

Unless you have access to the source code any - and that means *any*, like Windows as another example - closed source system could have all sorts of surreptitious stuff built into it just waiting for the day someone wants to activate it.

I am quite willing to believe that stuff from China could well have a few surprises included, and I am also quite willing to believe that this is not a new thing.

-- Regards, David.

David Clayton Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Knowledge is a measure of how many answers you have, intelligence is a measure of how many questions you have.

Reply to
David Clayton

Even if you *do* have access to the source code, and audit it carefully, that's still the case.

I believe the canonical reference here is Ken Thompson's Turing Award lecture, "Reflections on Trusting Trust".

-GAWollman

Reply to
Garrett Wollman

Curious, I wanted to read that and I found these two sites with Ken's speech; HTML version here:

and PDF for those who want a copy:

In case it's not obvious, Ken is the co-creator of UNIX:

Reply to
Thad Floryan

Did he mention the issue that an altered compiler can also inset code into otherwise "clean" and vetted source code?

(Yes, I used to be one of those people who reverse-compiled binary code to look for things, usually interface points for other code to access.......)

-- Regards, David.

David Clayton Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Knowledge is a measure of how many answers you have, intelligence is a measure of how many questions you have.

Reply to
David Clayton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.