FCC plans Huawei/ZTE ban, may require ripping out existing network gear [telecom]

Federal Communications Commission Chairman Ajit Pai is moving ahead with a ban on equipment from Chinese vendors Huawei and ZTE in US-funded telecom projects. The FCC will vote on Pai's proposal at its November 19 meeting, the commission said in an announcement and fact sheet released yesterday.

Pai's proposal "would bar communications companies from using any support they receive from the FCC's Universal Service Fund (USF) to purchase equipment or services from companies posing a national security threat, like the Chinese companies Huawei Technologies Co. and ZTE Corp.," the announcement said.

formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

I get the feeling that some one-percenters have decided that Huawei is in need of rehabilitation and readmitance to the U.S. market. The question, as always, is "why?"

The stock answers seem pale, and overused. Security risk? Please. "Stealing" American technology? It's mostly open source. The Universal Service Fund? Oh, where do I start?

How about "Someone didn't get their cut?" /That/ makes a lot more sense, especially with the current political environment in the U.S. I don't know if the folks at Cisco or Marconi or whatever didn't make the "right" hotel reservations, or if they are looking for a back end we'll never know about, but I think that Huawei is about to vanish from the news and become a solid corporate citizen again.

Time will tell.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.