IMTS analog phones?

are there VHF or UHF IMTS (pre-cellular) mobile telephone networks still operating in north america?

-ed

At 05:20 AM 9/21/2007, you wrote:

Message Digest >Volume 27 : Issue 26 : "text" Format > >Messages in this Issue: > [TELECOM]Re: Analog cell phone equipment > >---------------------------------------------------------------------- > >Date: 20 Sep 2007 05:48:39 +0000 >From: "Michael D. Sullivan" >To: snipped-for-privacy@telecom-digest.org >Subject: [TELECOM]Re: Analog cell phone equipment >Message-ID: > >> > AMPS was never widely used outside North America. At this point the only > > network still actively using it is the one in the gulf of Mexico, and the > > people who use that network know who they are. Other than that, I doubt > > AMPS will work anywhere after Feb 18th when the FCC lets the rest of the > > carriers in the U.S. drop it. > >There are still a fair number of cellular networks in the U.S., >principally in rural areas, with a large number of analog users. Some >folks won't give up their analog phones until they are pried out of >their hands. Those networks will undoubtedly continue providing analog >service (perhaps even analog-only!) for quite some time. > >Bill Horne, the temporary moderator asked: > > What, then, is to become of all the AMPS phones? Are they destined for > > landfills, or can they be used for other services? > >An analog phone, sans analog network, will become unusable and hence >commercially valueless unless it has historical value (such as the very >earliest portable handsets). The electronics inside have as much use as >those inside a 27 MHz cordless phone, a HomeRF wireless LAN adapter, or >a late Betamax VCR. To the recycling center with them, not the landfill! > >-- >Michael D. Sullivan >Bethesda, MD (USA) >(To reply, change example.invalid to com in the address.) > > >------------------------------ > >End of The Telecom digest (1 messages) >**********
Reply to
Ed
Loading thread data ...

In article you write:

Wikipedia says there's one system still operating in northern Minnesota:

formatting link

Reply to
John Levine

GTE in 1993 turned a system up in the Hemet area of Riverside County in California, the reason was some of the areas our techs had to go Cellular would not work, it was only in a few company vehicles, but it was really strange seeing them. Don't know if they are still in service since service has been upgraded in the area with more towers, and I'm now retired.

***** Moderator's Note *****

This post reminds me of the MTS and IMTS systems N.E.T. operated in Boston: I was a tech on the "Radio Board" at Franklin Street, and we used to monitor the mobile networks, the Marine Ship-to-shore network, the paging system, and the air-to-ground service along with our regular day-to-day work of radio remote broadcast lines.

I was always amazed at what the users would say on IMTS: the systems ran in the 152 MHz and 460 MHz range, and they could be overheard by anyone with a scanner.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

(Remember that your post must have "[telecom]" as the first thing in the subject line, or you risk losing it to the spam filters.

Reply to
Steven Lichter

In the 1970s those frequencies were constantly busy in the Los Angeles area. I heard some great conversations on my scanner in those days.

Reply to
B

Was there any scrambling of carphone signals at all, such as even the crude frequency shifting used in WW II?

There was a warning sticker on the Metroliner radio-phones that conversations could be overhead.

Would anyone know know how the user operated the later model mobile phones? They had dials on them, but a number of buttons as well.

Bell developed AMPS theory and wanted to try it out in a test region. For some reason, the FCC sat on the proposal for two years before allowing it. Would anyone know why the FCC sat on it so long? There was an enormous demand for mobile phones, huge waiting lists.

(I was annoyed my local first term state senator got one; he really didn't need it and undoubtedly there were others on the waiting list who did. Of course he lasted only one term and got voted out).

Reply to
hancock4

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.