Here's Exactly How the Internet Is Now Under Threat [telecom]

Here's Exactly How the Internet Is Now Under Threat

Obama's FCC head Tom Wheeler talks candidly about the open internet - and why, in Trumpworld, four companies could lock it up.

When President Obama nominated Tom Wheeler as the 31st chairman of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), some activists were wary because of his background as an advocate for cable and wireless interests. But as a friend of his, I was confident that he would be a strong leader, and he did not disappoint me. In fact, I consider Tom Wheeler the most consequential FCC chairman since the early 1960s, when a 35-year-old Newton Minow went to the Sheraton Park Hotel - to the lion's den, the National Association of Broadcasters - and told those all-powerful broadcasters that they were supposed to be serving the public interest. For all the diversity of content that we have today, one can argue that in terms of concentrated power over communications, we're not much different - four companies strive to dominate what we see and hear. As commissioner, Tom Wheeler told those four companies that they should be serving the public interest as well.

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

*All* corporations should be "serving the public interest as well". Governments issue corporate charters and allow the privilege of limited liability because it is in the public interest to see capital invested in that way, not as a Get Out Of Jail Free card to investors to abuse the public interest and walk away with the profits.

If corporations refuse to act in the public interest, their charters shoud be revoked. Yes, that would hurt share holders, just the same as if you put your money into Joey Weasel's little business and he gets 10 to life when they catch him. You were supposed to scrutinize Joey very carefully before you handed him your bundle. Would make investors very careful of which compnaies they bought into. Track record of skimming cream and stonewalling the public interest? Divest, don't buy, never go there again.

Reply to
Mike Spencer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.