Generic Question About ANI [telecom]

For you network gurus: Should the transmission of ANI by my originating Class 5 switch be limited to inwats numbers, 900 numbers, and E911 trunks?

If I am dialing an ordinary directory number that is billable to me shouldn't my ANI not be transmitted?

Reply to
Sam Spade
Loading thread data ...

ANI is still sent-forward to the telco or IXC that is billing the call to you, to their tandem with CAMA, unless the billing recording is being done at the originating switch (which "could" be the case on intra-LATA toll calls handled by that originating telco and not some IXC.

But I agree that ANI should NOT be sent forward to "just anyone" further downstream. Same with CID info if you dialed a *67/1167 prefix to "flag" the number as "private" to the far-end.

Mark J. Cuccia markjcuccia at yahoo dot com

Reply to
markjcuccia

No.

Originating switch "doesn't know" if/when the call will leave the network of the originating C.O.

Multiple reasons.

1) _IF_ it does leave that originating network, money changes hands with the destination network. For cost-accounting, and 'audit' thereof, purposes both telcos need a unique identifier of both endpoints of the call. 2) 'caller' info is required to be available at the destination switch, to meet various law-enforcement needs, per statute.
Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.