Gatesville, TX police say 911 system is working [telecom]

Gatesville police say 911 system is working as of Friday morning

911 system working once again in Gatesville

By: Caroline Sutton

GATESVILLE, TX - Gatesville police say the 911 system in the city is now working as of Friday morning.

The 911 system in the city was inoperable for hours on Thursday.

formatting link

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

Historical Note:

Actress Sissy Spacek grew up in Quitman, TX, which was served by a manual exchange in her childhood. The town's friendly local operator served as her inspiration in her film, Raggedy Man.

Here are some articles describing Quitman's conversion to dial service:

formatting link

formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

One of my earliest memories is of the moment when I answer the phone in my parents' home in Dedham, Massachusetts, and a woman told me "This phone is now dial." I didn't know what she meant, but I and my siblings spent the rest of the day dialing calls to all our friends.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
HAncock4
*** Subscribers receive immediate notice of important events in *** telecom: send an email to snipped-for-privacy@telecom-digest.orgi with the *** words "subscribe telecom" > ***** Moderator's Note *****

In some cases, telephone company personnel called subscribers to check on the new dial line hookup, or to provide training.

The article below, from Prescott, AZ, describes the training program. The trainers could send a dial tone, then monitor the dial pulses with a special unit to verify the subscriber is dialing correctly.

formatting link
(see top right).

Scroll up to page one of the same issue to see more information.

Also, see the special second section, beginning on page nine, for multiple additional articles and ads. (right side)

formatting link

Note all the merchants offering congratulations to the phone company for the dial conversion, as well as touting their contributions to constructing the new building

Reply to
HAncock4

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.