Fwd: Unusual Split of NPA 606: Metros Get New NPA [telecom]

Okay, I knew my archives would shed some light on 606. :-)

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: Unusual Split of NPA 606: Metros Get New NPA Date: 5 Aug 1999 18:27:41 GMT From: snipped-for-privacy@ox.slug.louisville.edu (Darren Stuart Embry) Organization: University of Louisville

The Kentucky Public Service Commission announced yesterday that the

606 Area Code serving Lexington, Northern Kentucky, and the eastern portion of the state will get a new (as of yet undetermined) area code number next year. Permissive dialing will start April 2000, with mandatory dialing in October 2000.

The geographic split will assign the new area code to Lexington and Northern Kentucky, the opposite of the general trend of assigning the new area code OUTSIDE of the major metropolitan areas.

The PSC's justification for the decision to let the economically depressed eastern Kentucky region keep the old area code is that assigning a new area code to eastern Kentucky would further disrupt its already depressed economy, while the economy of the metro areas of Lexington and Northern Kentucky is better able to withstand changing to a new area code.

The Lexington Herald-Leader also has an article on this announcement at . I was not able to find any news about the NPA 606 split on the North American Numbering Plan Administration's web site yet.

More Darren Stuart Embry, less talk.

formatting link
27 October 1999 --- IT'S TIME! --- Ask me for details.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Please explain 'Its Time' on October 27. I think I know already, but others would be interested. PAT]

+--------------------------------------------------------------+

Reply to
John Mayson
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.