FTC changes access to Do Not Call (DNC) Reported Calls Data [telecom]

Hi Everyone,

I have a call blocking program like most of the others. Mine is a little different because in addition to blocking unwanted calls, it also files Unlawful Call Center (UCC) complaints, and Federal Trade Commision (FTC) complaints. The FTC complaints are filed using Chrome Browser, Python, Selenium and WebDriver.

The reported call data is available at

formatting link
The data can be downloaded and used to block calls that evade local detection. The FTC used to provide a CSV file on a daily basis. It is now available through a web API that requires a key.

It appears the FTC has placed barriers to impede the dissemination of the information.

Jeff

***** Moderator's Note *****

The FTC web site directs visitors to an application page in order to obtain an API key. I had to give my name and email address, and the key arrived in a few minutes. However, queries done using the example given by the FTC consistently returned "403 Forbidden Request forbidden by administrative rules".

If you know how to access the FTC API, please help the rest of us.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Jeffrey Walton
Loading thread data ...

This is working for me, using this linux command line, with the appropriate $fccurl and $apptoken

wget -O outfile.csv "http://$fccurl/sr6c-syda.csv?%24%24app_token=$apptoken"

-Mark T

Reply to
Mark G Thomas

Here's an API key if you want to use it: BxZdnMDYeXrqjY6j6cp7AMPtvmcUZhzgvRm58nhi.

Our public data should be free and unencumbered.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey Walton

Mark, it's been a while since I did shell scripting, so I need some help with your wget options.

1. Are the two dollar signs (%24) before the "app_token" needed only if I enter the wget from a command line, or are they also required if I run this from a script?
  2. Is the wget command being used for the same FTC database that the OP was trying to use, or for a different one?

Thanks for your help!

Bill Horne (Remove QRM from my email address to write to me directly)

Reply to
Bill Horne

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.