Different "cultures" For Business Calling

Just wondered if my perception is that there are different "attitudes" about calling businesses. In the US (and I believe in Canada) it's quite common that for someone to reach a business (such as an airline or a telephone company) that you will call a toll-free (800/888/877/866) number.

When visiting the Netherlands I found toll-free "freephone" was not at all the norm. What appears to be the norm in the Netherlands is premium rate calls to reach pretty much any major business or other concern. To call an airline, telephone company, a telethon or even a product that you see in an "infomercial" you have to use an 0900 number for which you pay a premium rate. 0800 "freephone" numbers are available but they are far and few between. Is this just a culture difference between the US and the way things are in the Netherlands similar to paying for outgoing only on mobile phones?

Reply to
Mr Joseph Singer
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.