Cell phones: more texting, less talking? [telecom]

On the commuter train on Saturday I noticed it was quieter than usual. Typically on a weekend many passengers, especially the younger ones, are yakking away on their cell phones making the train rather noisy. (That's why some railroads have introduced "quiet cars", though not on weekends).

Anyway, I did notice a number of passengers 'thumbing away', that is, apparently sending and receiving text messages.

I understand text message traffic has gone up, which the cell carriers love because texting uses less bandwidth capacity than a voice call does, but they charge more for it. One needs to pay extra to get unlimited texting. Otherwise, as many parents found out the hard way, texting is expensive.

Has text message traffic overcame voice message traffic? Could someone expand on today's cell phone traffic mix? Thanks.

[public replies, please]
Reply to
HAncock4
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.