Canada: Employer Breached Employee's Right To Privacy By Reviewing Private Messages Sent From Work Laptop [telecom]

by James Cook

Employees frequently use laptop computers provided to them by their employer for personal matters as well as employment-related tasks. To what extent can an employer review private messages sent from an employee's personal social media accounts if they are available on the shared computer?

formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

As someone who has been employed to "tune" SpamAssassin filers, I can tell you that the great majority of corporate email should have been deleted before it was sent: not only do users give no thought to security or confidentiality, they also routinely offer opinions about the fashion|sexual|eating|dating|scheduling habits of their cow-orkers, along with sexist|racist|misogynistic|ignorant opinions about their friends, their national leaders, their football club, and/or their neighborhood swingers.

When I become king, I will order that everyone with access to a computer be forced to read and re-read every email they ever sent, so as to inculcate a sense of caution and balance with regard to what they send off into the ether.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.