Bell System Technical Journal--Reason for publication? [Telecom]

Both of these were true, but not terribly significant except as interesting anecdotes. (And Captain Crunch did go on to become something of a legend himself which makes him historically significant.)

No, I'd say the number of folks able to do that sort of thing back then was about as great as it is today. Back then, there were a lot of electronics hobbyists out there... people who built their own home stereo gear, people who built ham radio gear and used it. Lots of folks got extensive electronics training in the military during the war and that lead to a big hobby electronics boom in the fifties and sixties.

Sure, they could well have been blue-boxing. They also could have been going into telephone cabinets and stealing a pair that was in use, effectively using someone else's line to make their calls. That was also a very popular college student trick back then.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey
Loading thread data ...

I knew a guy who could (controllably!) whistle _modulated_ Bell-103 'originate' tones. I mean well enough to negotiate login/password prompts, get the MOTD, and find out if he had "new" mail, *without* anything other than a handset. (he _wasn't_ good enough to tell what the MOTD said, 'by ear', but he could tell the difference between 'You have mail', and 'You have new mail'.)

I could whistle a recognizable Bell-202 carrier, but with just noise as the modulation.`

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.