AT&T has started to manipulate the Google search results [telecom]

I'm writing to ask your help once again.

Most of the source material I quote in the Digest comes from online searches. For some time now, Centurylink has been able to hide embarrassing or other news that the company doesn't want to show up on Google searches, apparently using Search Engine Optimization (SEO) techniques which crowd out all search results that appear in English with those from sites which publish in other languages.

Of course, I've tried other search engines, but with dismal results: neither Bing or Yahoo yield anything newsworthy on most days: if there are other choices worth using, I'd like to know about them.

Now, AT&T has adopted tactics similar to Centurylink's. Today's search for news about AT&T produced a "splash" page that showed reports about failures in the 911 system at Baton Rouge, LA - but nothing else in English.

Google searches appear to be limited to eight pages of results, at least when searching in the "News" category. If part of the first page, and all seven of the rest, show results written in other languages, well, that effectively causes news about AT&T to vanish from the screens of those whom don't read other languages - those like me. Yahoo goes on for page after page, if I have the patience to wade through them: after about page eight, the search results start repeating the same links, straying off the topic, and getting less and less usable at each page view. Bing is in-between, but it has a lot more unrelated content.

Today, I was able to find an interesting article written in Spanish, and the Google "Translate" feature gave a usable result for it, but Google doesn't, AFAICT, have any way to limit search results to pages written only in English.

If you know a way around this problem, or know where I can find one, please contact me. I can't pay you, but I'll be happy to publish a public "Thank you" for you or your organization.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.