AT&T drops Appleton, WI time/temp service - local guy picks it up [Telecom]

(from:

formatting link
- it's a couple of items down)

"Time and t-t-t-temperature Posted by MWallenfang at 1/13/2009 3:53 PM CST on PostCrescent.com

A Darboy businessman saved a 59-year-old Appleton institution.

People in Appleton have been calling (920) 734-0123 since 1950 to hear the time and temperature, but AT&T shut down most of its time/temperature phone lines in Wisconsin in recent years because of declining use in the age of cell phones and Internet.

Plus, there?s the high cost of upgrading equipment. The Appleton area time/temp line was turned off around Thanksgiving.

Darboy resident Vern Schmitt missed it, and being a self-proclaimed phone enthusiast, he got the number from AT&T and reinstated the service in December.

If you?ve called in the last few weeks to confirm just how bone chilling it is out there, you may have noticed the change.

His company, D-J Telephone Systems in Appleton, picked up the bill for new equipment and phone lines. In the future, he?s thinking about taking on other sponsors to help with costs.

"It was important to have back as a community service," he said. "I get 1,800 to 3,000 calls a day, depending on conditions."

The bonus with Vern?s revamp: you now also now hear the day and date.

I remember dialing that number for temperature information a LOT when I was a kid. Kewl that someone has stepped in to keep it going.

Man, that line was in service since 1950 - (memory flow alert!) dial telephone service was cut in in Appleton in 1949 and from that time until about 1968 or

1969, one only needed to dial the last five digits of the number to connect a local call dialed from Appleton (733 or 734 numbers).

2-xxxx - Menasha-Neenah ('722')

3-xxxx - Appleton ('733') 4-xxxx - Appleton ('734') 5-xxxx - Menasha-Neenah ('725') 6-xxxx - Kaukauna ('766') 7-xxxx - Greenville ('757' - now part of the Appleton rate center) 8-xxxx - Little Chute ('788') and a bit later on 9-xxxx - Appleton ('739')

That ended in the late 1960s when the local numbers ran out, with AT&T/Wisconsin Telephone then adding 731 to Appleton and 729 to Menasha/Neenah, and the local calling area was expanded to include Black Creek ('984'), Hortonville ('779'), Sherwood ('989') and Shiocton ('986') - and we've been dialing the seven digits ever since.

That, too, will end in a couple of years when NPA 274 comes to the 920 area, requiring that all ten digits of the number be dialed on all calls.

-- ___________________________________________ ____ _______________ Regards, | |\\ ____ | | | | |\\ Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again! Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | | ___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________

***** Moderator's Note *****

Please do not use windows-1252 as a character set! We can handle ISO-8859-1, but that's all!

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Please put [Telecom] at the end of your subject line, or I may never see your post! Thanks!

We have a new address for email submissions: telecomdigestmoderator atsign telecom-digest.org. This is only for those who submit posts via email: if you use a newsreader or a web interface to contribute to the digest, you don't need to change anything.

Reply to
Michael G. Koerner
Loading thread data ...

This is so funny. Ever since AT&T dropped both the time and the weather services (here in San Francisco they were POPCORN and WE6-1212, I've had a hankering for time and temp. Time, especially. Unless one is near a computer it's hard to get good time. My cell phone resolves to the minute, and radio and TV stations have so much digital delay built into them that they can be off 10-20 seconds!

So I wrote some time/temp software and now I'm looking for equipment to handle it. Heck, I used to have a 5-line POTS line broadcaster but no longer have it. I shouldn't have tossed it.

Anybody have leads to a fairly inexpensive multi-line POTS broadcaster?

Reply to
David Kaye

Would anyone know of such time/temp services still available elsewhere in the U.S.? Bell made a half-hearted effort to standardize them at

936-1212 but many places had their own number. Later, some companies charged extra for it and it was a 976 number.

Made it easier for SxS exchanges so new levels and expensive switches didn't need to be added. I believe in such cases if someone dialed a

7 first it was simply absorbed (ignored).

Hard to believe a small town in Wisconsin will require ten digits when not that long ago five were plenty.

Reply to
hancock4

In Boston, time is 617-637-xxxx and weather is 617-936-xxxx, for any xxxx. I just called them, both say they're Verizon.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

There must be. There's at least one company

formatting link
selling rackmount gear to do just that.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garland

That's interesting. RI never had a phone company sponsored time/temp, instead the Providence Journal did ours. It was on 401-776-2700. Just SIT tones now.

But then my computer gets time via NTP, and weather via Yahoo widgets.

Reply to
T

When I was growing up in the San Francisco bay area, we had 936-1212 for weather. I remember at one time the operators went on strike, so the usual female voice giving the weather became a male voice. One ended the weather with the word "Peace." This made the papers.

Not quite the same as 936-1212, there's a company "Tell Me," which I think Microsoft may have bought, that does voice recognition software. They have an information service that includes weather. The number is

800 555 8355. It really works pretty well. sipphone.com routes #411 to this.

Harold

Reply to
harold

All those phone companies stopping this service should have secondhand equipment for sale.

But: if you can live without the solder smell and copper of POTS lines, building something which tells time in an Asterisk voip pbx is easy. Incoming numbers via voip are either free or cheap (depending on area code and arrangements). You just need a reliable broadband connection and a computer that is always on to handle the incoming calls, and a bit of scripting to tell time and do a readout of your temperature sensor.

Koos van den Hout

-- The Virtual Bookcase, the site about books, book | Koos van den Hout news and reviews

formatting link
|
formatting link
keyid DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263 or RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5|

***** Moderator's Note *****

I love the smell of hot solder in the morning!

It smells like ... VICTORY.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Please put [Telecom] at the end of your subject line, or I may never see your post! Thanks!

We have a new address for email submissions: telecomdigestmoderator atsign telecom-digest.org. This is only for those who submit posts via email: if you use a newsreader or a web interface to contribute to the digest, you don't need to change anything.

Reply to
Koos van den Hout

I was able to get time & temperature at 617-637-1212, but 617-936-1212 had a recording of number out of service. could the incoming lines be restricted to Boston only?

Any other cities that have the service?

Reply to
hancock4

Maybe, if I knew what it was called.

Thanks. I'm looking at their web pages. This wasn't exactly the solution I wanted, but it would be far cheaper in the long run. POTS lines cost a fortune anyway. I appreciate the help.

Reply to
David Kaye

I just tried 617-936-1212 and it worked fine. I'm not calling from Boston, I have a Lingo phone with an Ithaca NY number that is physically located in the UK.

Regards, John Levine, snipped-for-privacy@iecc.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies", Information Superhighwayman wanna-be,

formatting link
ex-Mayor "More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.

Reply to
John Levine

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.