at&t/BellSouth Retiring Two More 1AESS C.O.Switches [telecom]

at&t/BellSouth Retiring Two More 1AESS C.O.Switches

at&t-ILEC is replacing two more 1AESS central office switches during

1st-Q/2011. Both are in legacy BellSouth states, one in Southern Bell in West Palm Beach FL, the other in Southern Bell in Birmingham AL.

The two network disclosure documents can be found at the at&t website of such documents,

formatting link
on the link to the southeast (BellSouth) states to scroll down.

formatting link
Tuesday 22-June-2010, announces the retirement and replacement of the currently existing Alcatel-Lucent BRHMALEW95E 1AESS, "Eastwood" in Birmingham AL, scheduled for Friday night 11-February-2011. The 205-NXX c.o.codes that are "default" served by this switch for at&t/BellSouth are 205-951,956,957. All are associated with the Birmingham AL ratecenter. The SS7 Point Code for the current 1AESS is 252-134-004. A Genband-Nortel (Genband is the successor to most of Nortel's c.o.switch division) MG9000-ABI-Remote (digital packet remote) BRHMALEWRPA will replace the existing 1AESS, to be hosted by the Nortel DMS-100/200 tandem BRHMALMTDS0/0GT. This tandem is indicated in the at&t ILEC network/technical disclosure document as a DMS-500, but other sources show this switch as a DMS-200. The tandem does NOT presently serve any local subscriber loops for dial-tone, its CLLI right now is only BRMHALMT0GT, so it will need to be expanded as such -- the DMS-100 function added along with the end-office CLLI extension -DS0, so that it can "host" the new Genband-Nortel digital packet remote that is replacing the retiring 1AESS. The SS7 Point Code for the tandem/host is 252-134-023, which will also be the same SS7 Point Code for the new digital packet remote switch.

formatting link
Friday 18-June-2010, announces the retirement and replacement of the currently existing Alcatel-Lucent WPBHFLRB84E 1AESS, "Riviera Beach" in West Palm Beach FL, scheduled for Friday 18-March-2011. The 561-NXX c.o.codes that are "default" served by this switch for at&t/BellSouth are 561-494,840,841,842,844,845,848,863,881,882. All are associated with the West Palm Beach FL ratecenter. It seems that during the old 2L-5N EXchange NAme days, those 84x codes which did exist back then were known as "VIctor (x)". Also note that the 561 area code for this part of Florida had split from the 407 area code back in 1996, and even the

407 area code (which still includes the Orlando area) had split from the original 305 area code back in 1988. The SS7 Point Code for the current 1AESS is 252-046-033. A Genband-Nortel MG9000-ABI-Remote (digital packet remote) WPBHFLRBRP0 will replace the existing 1AESS, to be hosted by the Nortel DMS-100/200 tandem WPBHFLGRDS2/02T, "Gardens" in West Palm Beach. This tandem does NOT presently serve any local subscriber loops for dial-tone, its CLLI right now is only WPBHFLGR02T, so it will need to be expanded as such -- the DMS-100 function added along with the end-office CLLI extension -DS2, so that it can "host" the new Genband-Nortel digital packet remote that is replacing the retiring 1AESS. The SS7 Point Code for the tandem/host is 252-046-029, which will also be the same SS7 Point Code for the new digital packet remote switch.

Some of the 1AESS switches that at&t/Ameritech/Michigan-Bell is retiring later this year (and early next year), and which the very last 1AESS in the New Orleans area (Aurora, NWORLAAR---) when retired earlier this year (January 2010) by at&t/BellSouth/South-Central-Bell, are being replaced with those Genband-Nortel MG9000-ABI digital remote packet switches. I don't know what the 'MG' stands for, but 'ABI' stands for "Access Bridging Interface".

Assuming that there are no further announcements of retirements of 1AESS switches (being replaced with digital or digital-packet switches) for this year (2010) or early next year (2011), after the retirement and replacement of the four at&t/MI-Bell and two at&t/BellSouth 1AESS offices is completed, there will be around 55 remaining 1AESS offices still within the US, as follows:

VeriZon/Bell-Atlantic/C&P will still have their three 1As remaining, one each in: Baltimore MD, Richmond VA, Norfolk VA;

at&t/SBC/Ameritech/MI-Bell will still have their three remaining 1As, one each in: Pontiac MI suburb of Detroit, Lansing MI, Grand Rapids MI;

at&t/SBC/Ameritech/IL-Bell will still have their two remaining 1As, both in the Chicago IL area: Chicago "AUStin", Oak Park IL;

at&t/BellSouth/Southern-Bell will still have 18 remaining 1As, eight in the Atlanta GA Metro and four more scattered about central/southern GA (one each in Savannah GA, Waycross GA, Augusta GA, Warner-Robbins GA), as well as six in Florida -- two in the Jacksonville FL Metro area and four more still in the Miami/Ft.Lauderdale FL Metro area;

at&t/BellSouth/South-Central-Bell will still have eight 1As remaining, one in Nashville TN, three more in the Birmingham/Bessemer AL metro area, two in Shreveport LA, and the two c.o.switches here in Lafayette LA;

at&t/SBC/Southwestern-Bell will still have 21 remaining 1As, seven in the St.Louis MO metro area, three in the Dallas TX metro area, four in the Ft.Worth TX metro area, four in the Houston TX metro area, and three more scattered about Texas (one each in Beaumont TX, Odessa TX, El Paso TX).

Further details on these 55 remaining 1AESS offices (CLLIs, default BOC NPA-NXX office codes, switch-name, etc) as well as details on the four

1As in the Detroit MI area which are being retired and replaced with digital/packet switches later this year or early next year (2011), can be found in my posts on this topic from earlier this year.

Mark J. Cuccia markjcuccia at yahoo dot com Lafayette LA, formerly of New Orleans LA pre-Katrina

Reply to
Mark J. Cuccia
Loading thread data ...

I've lived with a DMS-100 since 1984. My service under a 1(A)ESS was far less, 1975 to 1984. But, I sort of miss the sound of the switching sounds when porting changed from 2-way to 3-way and vica versa. And, the drop to dirty battery when the ROH timed out and you could then hear orders being issued by the processors.

Reply to
Sam Spade

Yeah, the 1AESS clicked and popped like a pro. Going over to an all digital switch takes all the fun out of it.

***** Moderator's Note *****

"clicked and popped"? Shhesh: kids these days.

You have not lived unless you can recall the ordure of burnt Brylcream that suffused every molecule of air in a Panel office. You cannot even begin to appreciate what "clicks" or "pops" are until you've have heard the Originating Marker of a #5 Crosbar during busy hour.

The 1AESS did not "click" or "pop": it snickered, hummed, and whined. It sounded like something a high-school physics teacher put together to demonstrate Ohm's Law.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
T

What about the noise you get when you pull out a Group Selector in an old SxS switch and accidentally brush the power contacts in the frame causing an ongoing arc across them.....

Whoops, I think I've said too much.....

-- Regards, David.

David Clayton Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Knowledge is a measure of how many answers you have, intelligence is a measure of how many questions you have.

Reply to
David Clayton

Bill, I was speaking of what I could hear on the phone in my home, not on the floor of the C.O. ;-)

No doubt on the floor of the C.O. a 1(A)ESS was almost silent, especially compared to SxS or even 5XBAR.

Sam,

It was a joke. J-O-K-E. Therapy for the humor-impaired, if you will.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Sam Spade

Bill claims now he wasn't talking about actually being in the C.O. He apparently has the ability to hear all that stuff over the phone.

No, I didn't, and I actually did work in a CO that had Panel, #5XB, and 1AESS.

My previous remark was meant to clarify that it doesn't matter if people heard the sounds made by an ESS in person or on the wire: I was making a point about how Real Men[tm] weren't bothered by minor annoyances, because they had worked inside the boiler factory and didn't think that hearing the noise of a loose pipe at home was that big a deal.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Sam Spade

How about when a major underwater cable is cut and every switch in a SXS office goes up and then drops, or a wire is cut on the wrong side of a translator?

Reply to
Steven

Interestingly enough, there was a way to "silence" the #1A switch, from the user's perspective (as opposed to within the office...) . The original service trial for cellular telephone run by the Bell System in Chicago used a #1 ESS as the Mobile Telephone Switching Office (the 1A used the same switching network, but upgraded the processor...). The "click" the user heard when the switching path changed was obviously intolerable for cellular service as the cell sites (and associated trunking) had to be switched as a vehicle moved between cell service areas. There was an added circuit to the trunks that, in fact, made the switching fabric "silent" to the users during a handoff.

After the service trial, and before commercial service, the switch was upgraded to a #5ESS and the extra trunk circuitry, to the best of my knowledge, was never used again.

ET

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: snipped-for-privacy@netfront.net ---

Reply to
Eric Tappert

As I said, I sort of miss those sounds of the 1 and 1A.

Reply to
Sam Spade

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.