any phone service offering pseudo-anonymous, throwaway, numbers? [telecom]

With the data mining and information selling/swapping that goes on, if you give your phone number (traditional, VOIP, cellular, etc.) to the car tire fixer place [a]... it'll soon be on The List for plenty of other vendors to annoy and harass you.

And don't even think about what happens if you hand it to a political group..

[a] vendor chosen as an example, no harm intended.

But there are times you pretty much have to give folk a number to reach you.

Having my own internet domains I can simply make-up an e-mail address and destroy it a month later. And there are commercial services with similar options.

But doing it with a phone number is trickier.

I was thinking of... a system/company that offers up phone numbers, and then lets you pick and choose "extensions" in it, which you could either route to your "real" number, to v-mail, or send back to oblivion when no longer needed.

For example, the company might have, among other numbers, 808-555-1000. You could get "rights to", for want of a better term, extensions "752-1000" through "752-1999", and assign them as you chose.

So getting back to that tire place where you want them to reach you, you'd activate ext. 752-1222 to call out to your real number (or go to v-mail). Two months later, when you start getting marketing garbage, you'd simply kill it off.

Anyone know of any service that has this? (And yes, I realize this would be almost practical for anyone with their own "Asterisk" system, but that requires the equipment, the set up, and oodles of upfront money, effort, and maintenance).

Thanks

_____________________________________________________ Knowledge may be power, but communications is the key snipped-for-privacy@panix.com [to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]

Reply to
danny burstein
Loading thread data ...

I'd expect most hosted VoIP will do this. I use voip.ms, and can order additional DID numbers for $0.99/month and a $0.50 setup charge, keep them as long as I want, and then cancel them (and they don't have to be in one of the local ACs). Handle calls differently depending on what incoming number they use. Or, set up "extensions" that are handled differently. Or, blacklist/whitelist to handle incoming calls differently, depending on their source.

I manually enter spam callers to get the "that number has been disconnected" message.

Except for the part about having different incoming numbers, you could do most of that with Google Voice, for free.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garland

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.