5XB arcana [Telecom]

John Morse posted another interesting article in the Linux group which I've copy'n'pasted below. Email to him did not succeed, so I posted a one-liner in that group inviting him to comp.dcom.telecom; hopefully he'll join us.

Here's John's copy'n'pasted article:

Was your 5XB one of the old original flat-spring models? Perhaps you also had an old SXS switch in the same building?

The 5XB that was beside my 1XB switch where I worked for ten years, was a newer (c. 1966) wire-spring model. I started off as a frameman for the

1XB and 5XB. Never did get the hang of 5XB multi-line hunt and jump-hunt wiring in the Number Groups. The 5XB switchman would work those orders.

Another C.O. had three Marker Groups, the largest in the city. Two were wire-spring, but the oldest was a flat-spring model.

IIRC, my 1XB switch didn't have jump-hunt, but did have multi-line hunt (block hunt). It also didn't have TouchTone. Just before I bid out to a Teletypeman slot, I had installed TT converters on all of the 180 old dial-pulse Subscriber Senders (5XB would call these Originating Registers), and then they could sell TT to everybody (Dial Assignment's job became easier).

That old 1XB switch would never give up processing calls regardless of the load. The 5XB was a frail animal though, designed for smaller suburban C.O.s. It could lock up under heavy traffic. A lot of the jam-up was caused by the slowness of the mechanical Trouble Recorder, which punched cards one after another when the going got tough. This caused the Markers to wait on the Trouble Recorder, at least until they timed out and dumped the call. Of course a subscriber just started over again....

These heavy traffic events were usually on Monday mornings right after people woke up to find an ice storm had paralyzed the city. Or after a tornado moved across town, whether it touched down or not. It's amazing how, after many years of listening to the din of the switch, you can get a feel for what is happening. I worked nights, and I could actually hear a call fail by unusual sounds back in the aisles.

I went back many years later and noticed the 5XB AMA Translator frames were jam-packed with jumpers. Seems the Chief Switchman had gotten tired of so many 5-Tickets from lost revenue on toll calls, due to framemen pulling out the wrong jumpers, he ordered no more jumper removal on disconnect orders. That caused a gradual build-up of wire until the detecting loops were choked-full of wire. You could only unwrap and remove a Translator jumper when you had a new connect order for that Line Link assignment. But the framemen wouldn't pull out the wires, so the loops were packed with disconnected tangled wires.

I imagine they also had their share of XET problems (XET = Cross in the Electronic Translator) caused by a part of the wirewrap "spring" breaking off and falling down between the wire-wrap studs. I'd like to have the money the Trouble Recorder cards cost, just for all the XET problems they had over the years!

Reply to
Thad Floryan
Loading thread data ...

Thanks for sharing the post. Interesting stuff.

It was common in telephone buildings to have different switches of different vintages.

In the IBM history, there is mention of "wire spring relays" as being a big improvement, and _possibly_ invented by IBM. I'm not sure what they are and why they are superior. But apparently they allow equipment to be smaller and work faster.

Compared to computers relays are slow, of course, but to the naked eye watching a relay machine do its magic is fascinating. They're able to do quite a few tasks very quickly. For instance, a step switch will quickly hunt over terminals until it finds an empty one--that means each terminal must be tested and the switch respond accordingly. Just lifting a receiver in crossbar causes all sorts of things to happen before dial tone comes.

This was one of the problems that led to the NYC service meltdown in the 1970s. In that era, people began to move much more often resulting in a high volume of installations and disconnections. They didn't remove old jumpers from the MDF and it got badly overcrowded. This all led to better MDF maintenance and record keeping practices.

Reply to
hancock4

I was told a story by a friend in an operating company about an early wire-spring 5XB. It was installed in Los Angeles. True to form, the floor was swept regularly,

so as to keep things ship-shape.

The switch died just a few months later. They found the LA smog was corroding the wire springs, which then fell off....and were swept away before anyone noticed....

WECO ended up junking the switch, and Bell Labs learned a lot about corrosion in smog.

Reply to
David Lesher

I kinda doubt that. Even El-Lay smog couldn't do _that_ as fast as _that_.

I _might_ believe that the contacts needed more cleaning, but not that they were falling off the relays.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Horne

So if smog was eating away the wire springs imagine what it was doing to the people. Nice to see CA now publishing data on 30 chemicals known to be endocrine disruptors and carcinogens.

Reply to
T

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 12:46:07 -0400, hancock4 wrote: .........

That sort of thing was not uncommon in Australia either, telco technicians would get an order to cancel a service but just wouldn't bother to actually do anything - resulting in old jumpers being left connected all over the network which then slowed down new connections that were allocated using that pair.

It also caused massive inefficient use of the infrastructure as it was deemed "better" to leave something that "might" be cancelled in place rather than go to the trouble of determining once and for all if that resource was actually in use or not.

It was only when someone calculated the cost of this inefficiency (like running new cables instead of using the actual available resources in the existing stuff) that cleaning up old services and records was finally taken seriously.

Reply to
David Clayton

Can you hear me now? ;-)

Smaller, faster, better contacts, cheaper, less current draw, etc.

The wire springs allowed a better contact "wipe" than the flat spring relays. Kept the contacts cleaner, and probably knocked off pitting growth.

I visited the CEntral CO in Topeka, Kansas around 1970. That was a huge Stroger SXS office, with the auxiliary line finders in wooden cabinets with glass windows. I forget their actual name, but they appeared to oscillate back and forth, left to right, with contacts somehow stopping and held to terminals when a subscriber went ROH.

They had a very long MDF, which grew beyond the length of their building (front corner to rear alley). So, they kept adding on to it after a

90-degree bend, and went across the rear of the building.

Over the years, the jumpers started falling and hanging off the shelves. It was a big mess, even after they attempted to stop the spillage with vertical 5/8" threaded rod covered with a plastic insulator.

I can't imagine the difficulty a frameman must have had running jumpers on that MDF.

Another old Panel and 1XB office had an MDF with a balcony. I think the horizontal shelves went clear up to "V" (lettered "A" through "V") where a "normal" MDF had a top horizontal shelf "Q."

The balcony had stairs at both ends, and a switchback staircase around the middle. Running a jumper might require visiting a vertical on both levels. Seems we invented a (broomstick) pole with a hook to grab jumpers to avoid all the leg work.

This MDF, by the way, was at the same height as most of the Panel frames. Ladders were so tall you could get a nose bleed! ;-)

The newer 1XB switch had enough headroom above the cable racks that you could easily walk upright without hitting the ceiling.

Reply to
John F. Morse

Urban Legend. Those C.O.s were air conditioned, which tended to reduce the effects of smog.

General Telephone's vast army of SxS C.O.s were located in the most concentrated areas of smog (Azusa, CA still holding the U.S. record for smog in 1955). Those steppers just kept on steppn' throughout all that horrible smog and heat.

Reply to
Sam Spade

David Lesher wrote: ?

Love the link, though. The U.S. military would hang their head in the shame of failure when comparing their assinine documents with that one.

Reply to
Sam Spade

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.