Surge Protection?

I lost you with the knot thing. Are you just plucking this from your cranium or a particular book, article or what have you? I've always found thus a fascinating subject if there's more to read.

I'm planning on whole house protection here and wasn't happy with the water inlet 30 ft away so I dug down outside the panel and dropped a ground plate, drilled thru foundation and ran 6ft bare 00 (whatever, thick) back to ground at the panel. Should I leave the original connection to the water main???

Reply to
mikey
Loading thread data ...

Only demonstrated is that internal electronics protection protected the electronics. To prove a point, personal observation alone and without electronics measuring devices is not sufficient. Your evidence alone is only sufficient to create a hypothesis or speculation. Without comprehension of the underlying principles - without even any specification numbers - your hypothesis cannot become fact.

Numbers for that AVR were requested and not provided. Meanwhile I did provide some useful numbers. Electronics must work, just fine, even when incandescent lamps dim to less than

40% intensity due to a brownout. The AVR does not even claim to maintain 120 volt output when AC mains drop that low. So what is the AVR really doing beside enriching APC?

cctvbahamas example has been used elsewhere previously to dem> I have proven it here this summer, what i recommended works. End > of story.

Reply to
w_tom

A knot in a wire will increase inductance. Inductance means a transient will be attenuated. Therefore that inductance is lightning protection - if we ignore the numbers. We apply numbers. Now that inductance is so trivial as to attenuate by almost zero amount.

This demonstrates the problem with those who make recommendations and cannot provide numbers. Once we apply the numbers, then reality puts those claims into perspective. Claims made without numbers is akin to 'lying by telling half truths'. A wire knot is surge protection .... useless surge protection because it will not sufficiently stop or block what even three miles of sky could not accomplish.

Wire inductance is also why that 30 foot connection to a water pipe is not effective earthing for the 'whole house' protector. So that lightning does not seek other paths to earth via household appliances, that earthing wire from 'whole house' protector to the single point earth ground must be short, direct, and independent. Short as in 'less than 10 feet' to minimize inductance. Direct as in no splices, no sharp bends, and not inside metallic pipe or conduit; again to minimize inductance. The protector is only as effective as its earth ground which is why wire impedance to earth must be minimized.

Minimum wire inductance from each incoming utility wire to earth ground (either via a 'whole house' protector or by direct wire) is for transistor safety. Wire inductance is not relevant when earthing for human safety. Wire inductance is why earthing for transistor safety often must exceed National Electrical Code (NEC) requirements.

A water pipe ground must remain (and is required) for human safety. Any wire that connects to a water pipe must remove electricity from that pipe. Any electricity accidentally shorted to water pipes - either inside the house or outside - would be shunted to electric box safety ground. That water pipe connection is a human safety ground and is too long (too much impedance) for transistor safety ground.

00 gauge wire to earth ground may be much larger than required. The typical residential earth ground - for both human safety and for transistor safety - is often large enough at 4 AWG. Sounds like by go> I lost you with the knot thing. Are you just plucking this from
Reply to
w_tom

Dude you dont have a clue what you are talking about.

Reply to
cctvbahamas

Gotchya, thank you. Not sure why the two grounds was bothering me, maybe I was thinking ground loop or something. I would have ensured the plumbing was grounded at the panel as well but I'll just leave the inlet ground as per instead. And thank you for the detailed response.

Reply to
mikey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.