Glue Test in Cold Weather

I'm mounting Magnets on exterior Vinyl Windows. The night temps have been getting down to the high 20's, and daytime temps have been in the

40-50's. Seems Silicon II can't setup in those temps. So I did a small test of some glues to see what would work on the Windows in the cold. I gave the test about 36 hours. What I did was glue deck screws flat onto a plastic board (from an Ademco 4204 module) and left it outside in the sheltered front porch. It even snowed over night (no snow got on the plastic, Screw or glue).

Results (from best to worst):

1) Goop Household Glue cured well. Dry and set. The Screw was secured very well to the plastic board. You could barely move the Screw. The glue was flexible, but of all the glues tested, it was least flexible. 2) RTV Glue cured well. Dry and set. The Screw was secured well to the plastic board. You could barely move the Screw. The glue was more flexible than the Goop, but not by a lot. 3) GE Silicone II Siding & Trim, 10.1 oz Glue was not fully cured. Dry to the touch, and not sticky, but felt a little soft. The Screw was secured OK to the plastic board, but could be moved pretty easy - could be pulled off the board with little effort. Much more flexible than the Goop or RTV. 4) GE Silicone II Household Glue, 3.5 oz Glue was not cured. Wet and Sticky as if I just pushed it out of the tube. It didn't seem to cure the least little bit. The Screw was not secured to the plastic board.

Overall, the Goop and RTV seemed best to use. I posted this in case anyone wanted to comment on other glues that work well in cold temps.

Reply to
earlw
Loading thread data ...

I believe Goop is silicon based. I swear by the stuff.

| > Results (from best to worst): | >

| > 1) Goop Household | > Glue cured well. Dry and set. | > The Screw was secured very well to the plastic board. | > You could barely move the Screw. The glue was flexible, | > but of all the glues tested, it was least flexible. | >

| > 2) RTV | > Glue cured well. Dry and set. | > The Screw was secured well to the plastic board. | > You could barely move the Screw. The glue was more | > flexible than the Goop, but not by a lot. | >

| > 3) GE Silicone II Siding & Trim, 10.1 oz | > Glue was not fully cured. Dry to the touch, and not | > sticky, but felt a little soft. | > The Screw was secured OK to the plastic board, but could | > be moved pretty easy - could be pulled off the board with | > little effort. Much more flexible than the Goop or RTV. | >

| > 4) GE Silicone II Household Glue, 3.5 oz | > Glue was not cured. Wet and Sticky as if I just pushed it | > out of the tube. It didn't seem to cure the least little bit. | > The Screw was not secured to the plastic board. | >

| > Overall, the Goop and RTV seemed best to use. I posted this in case | > anyone wanted to comment on other glues that work well in cold temps. | >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

use the goop or rtv and then use a bead of silicone around the edges for when the glue gives up the silicone will take over.

Reply to
moe

I didn't try the Liquid Nails because I just had the regular stuff on hand. The 'Clear Seal All Purpose Sealant' version of Liquid Nails looks good. It's flexible and clear. The info is at

formatting link
Is this the one you were thinking about?

-earlw

Reply to
earlw

Did you try clear liquid nails? It is sold at Walmart. Good stuff.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

so, you'd not be replacing a contact easily I gather!

| >Jim Rojas | >

| >

| >>use the goop or rtv and then use a bead of silicone around the edges for | >>when the glue gives up the silicone will take over. | >>

| >>

| >>>I'm mounting Magnets on exterior Vinyl Windows. The night temps have | >>>been getting down to the high 20's, and daytime temps have been in the | >>>40-50's. Seems Silicon II can't setup in those temps. So I did a | >>>small test of some glues to see what would work on the Windows in the | >>>cold. I gave the test about 36 hours. What I did was glue deck screws | >>>flat onto a plastic board (from an Ademco 4204 module) and left it | >>>outside in the sheltered front porch. It even snowed over night (no | >>>snow got on the plastic, Screw or glue). | >>>

| >>>Results (from best to worst): | >>>

| >>> 1) Goop Household | >>> Glue cured well. Dry and set. | >>> The Screw was secured very well to the plastic board. | >>> You could barely move the Screw. The glue was flexible, | >>> but of all the glues tested, it was least flexible. | >>>

| >>> 2) RTV | >>> Glue cured well. Dry and set. | >>> The Screw was secured well to the plastic board. | >>> You could barely move the Screw. The glue was more | >>> flexible than the Goop, but not by a lot. | >>>

| >>> 3) GE Silicone II Siding & Trim, 10.1 oz | >>> Glue was not fully cured. Dry to the touch, and not | >>> sticky, but felt a little soft. | >>> The Screw was secured OK to the plastic board, but could | >>> be moved pretty easy - could be pulled off the board with | >>> little effort. Much more flexible than the Goop or RTV. | >>>

| >>> 4) GE Silicone II Household Glue, 3.5 oz | >>> Glue was not cured. Wet and Sticky as if I just pushed it | >>> out of the tube. It didn't seem to cure the least little bit. | >>> The Screw was not secured to the plastic board. | >>>

| >>>Overall, the Goop and RTV seemed best to use. I posted this in case | >>>anyone wanted to comment on other glues that work well in cold temps. | >>>

| >>>

| >>>

| >>

| >>

| >

| >

| >

| >

Reply to
Crash Gordon

That was one of my concerns - a glue that would work so well that the magnet or contact would become "one" with the window and I would have to tear up the window to replace the magnet/contact. But I wanted a glue that would stick well enough that you would not be afraid to place a contact on the botton of the window. Didn't want water to enter the contact area and drip down into wall and insulation.

So far I have been pretty impressed with Goop and RTV. I have used Silicon for other projects, but lately the temps here in Peyton Colorado (7,300') have been rather cool at night and Silicon seems to have a tough time setting up in cold temps. The Silicon II I used to hold the deck screw to a piece of plasic just peeled right off with little effort. I know Silicon does pretty good in warmer weather, so I just have to believe the cold temps are the problem. Since cold temps are the norm here until next May, it's something I just have to deal with...

Reply to
earlw

I've always had problems with silicon in cold...also if you remove a contact that was previously siliconed on, forget about getting the new silicon to stick. I dont have these problems with the goop.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Here's a little hint for anyone who hasn't already thought of it.

I happen to use 3M cement as a glue, when needed. I hardly ever use RTV. For a sealant I use an acrylic type. However, when it's cold, any of them are hard to work with. If there's a microwave oven around, put the tube in for about 10 or 15 seconds at a time until it gets warm enough to flow. It'll usually work better. Once heated, carry the tube in you pants pocket to keep it warm. Another hint is ....... since I still carry my window foil kit with me, I have a heat gun. If it's really that cold and the cement/sealant wont adhere, heat up the contact or object and the area you're going to cement it to, with the heat gun first. Also, just in case someone doesn't already know about it, when applying sealant or silicone, if you want to keep it from sticking to your fingers, mix up some soapy water and dip your fingers in it before you "work" the sealant. Works great when you want to smooth out that bead you just applied to a piece of molding.

Jeeeez I'm beginning to sound like Bass.

Reply to
Jim

That may be the one. I usually buy the smaller plastic tubes for $3 each.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Love that Liquid Nail. Whenever I open a new tube and have some left over, I squeeze it into a air tight glass jar and then just apply some with the end of a slot screwdriver anytime needed. It lasts forever as long as you keep it sealed. It you use it make sure everything is in place correctly, because once it dries that is it. Not like silicone, which you can usually cut away if needed.

BobbyD

Jim Rojas wrote:

Reply to
bdolph

You haven't experienced the kind of *cold* you get in Edmonton (-40 C). RTV sucks... Goop all the way!!!

Reply to
Frank Olson

if you had said that even a monkey can do it I would have started worrying.

Reply to
moe

Good post... Thanks... Allan

Reply to
Allan Waghalter

Great post, Jim. You spelled "moulding" wrong... :-))

Not even close.

Reply to
Frank Olson

I've worked in similar conditions and this is what I did. It worked for me for many years. YMMV.

Use the adhesive pad on the back of the sensors (Sentrol 1035, for example) to hold the sensor and magnet in place. After testing the circuit draw a small bead of white RTV along the top and bottom edges of each piece. The RTV will dry in an hour or less and completely cure in a day. Cold temperatures slow but do not stop the curing process.

Regards, Robert L Bass

formatting link

Reply to
robertlbass

it, when applying sealant or silicone, if you want to keep it from sticking to your fingers, mix up some soapy water and dip your fingers in it before you 'work' the sealant. Works great when you want to smooth out that bead you just applied to a piece of molding."

I use RTV. If I get a little on my fingers I just rub it off on a clean paper towel. The soapy water idea sounds good though.

You speak Portuguese, too? :^)

Regards, RobertLBass

formatting link

Reply to
robertlbass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.