T1 Timing on an OPTION 11

Hi all.

I need help finding out the setting on the OPTION11 to set and/or check the timing setting on a T1 link to an Avaya switch. I'm new to Nortel and telephone switches in general but have Cisco LAN/WAN experience.

The Avaya is reporting CSS (Controlled Slip Secs) errors on the link and I need to know how to verify the timing and how to set/change to correct the errors. At the moment the link is going down at lease 4 times a day.

Any help is appreciated. TIA.

-ajm

Reply to
aj.murphy
Loading thread data ...

In the Admin book, go to LD73 - you'll see - follow the link to the page with the "main menu" picture - you can get the manual you need plus more - plus free

Here ya go - hope the link works here in this format... http://161.58.174.191/micro_merl/

Yet another free service of GHTROUT

Reply to
GHT_WHO?

I don't know about the avaya switch. But the nortel only receives clocking form 1 source at a time. This is hardware dependent as well as software dependent. The first choice for any pbx is the public network. A pbx should only clock off another pbx if there is no public network to clock from. So first question, do both pbx's have a public network t1. If so and they are both in sync with the public network, the problem will most likely be a hardware or circuit issue. It gets even fuzzier if there are drop/inserts muxs on the link between the 2 pbx's, as their clocks have to taken into consideration also. You probably need to get a technician from each vendor to work this type of problem out. As well as knowing their own pbx, they will need to know the circuit design between the 2 pbx's. It's easy if you know what you are doing and it ain't if you don't.

Reply to
john doe

The NORTEL had 1 last public t1 that was a tie to another Option11 at a remote site nearby. That site has been moved into our new build in June. I think Qwest has been taking it's time tearing down the t1 and probably caused the timing issue fudging with the circuit.

In the end we had NORTEL and Avaya techs look at the problem. In the end the clock on the Nortel side had to be modified to take it's clock source from the Avaya. It's working now and we have had no downtime on that link since.

Thanks all.

-ajm

Reply to
aj.murphy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.