Show name for inbound caller on phoneset

Hello all,

We currently get digits from Telco that show the caller from outside. We're getting complaints from our external sales team that when they call their colleagues aren't answering because they don't know it's them. Frankly, I don't think they'll be answering anyways, but that's my opinion.

I'm wondering if it's possible for me to program something in the switch that, when I get a phone call from 508-555-1212, it displays the name that I have programmed in the switch for that number (i.e. Joe Schmoe).

I thought this could be done through ANI, but looking at the NTP's doesn't seem to show a place where I could do this (in LD 15 or otherwise). Just wondering if anyone has experience with this. I wouldn't thing it would be terribly hard, just one of those things that Nortel hides under a different name. :)

Thanks in advance, Mike Andrews

Reply to
Michael Andrews
Loading thread data ...

Mike-

I've got it working perfectly... but it's in an ACD environment. When calls come in through the ACD queue, both the name & number are displayed. I believe it's mentioned in the ACD feature description document. If needed, I can find out the exact ntp#.

And you're right -- it's not hard. I think there are just 2 prompts you have to change in cdb.

Anyway, if you can't find it in the ACD feature description, let me know, and I'll get NTP# & page#.

l8r David

Reply to
j0ckg33k

As j0ckg33k points out, Caller ID with Name delivery is possible. However, if you really really meant "displays the name that I have programmed in the switch for that number" then the answer is "not anyplace in the system that is made for that" But there are any number of add-ons that would do that. Lots of products know how to read the display of the set and in turn 'do something' based on what was displayed

I suspect j0ckg33k is doing what makes the most sense for youre application?

Reply to
GHTROUT

David,

Thanks for your response! The people that will be receiving calls from remote users aren't in ACD so I don't think that your method would work.

I know that other companies do this when calls come in to personal DN's, but they may not have Nortel switches either. I just know that I get complaints now and then that recipients of calls from our PBX are getting a different company's name on their phone display. This always ends up being that the other end has the incorrect name programmed for the incoming number.

I'd still like to take a look at the changes I'd have to make in the CDB though... maybe something in there would point me in the right direction. If you could let me know the NTP and page that would be great!

Thanks again, Mike

Reply to
Michael Andrews

Gene,

So there's no place in the Option 61C I could put a list of numbers and names that it could display on a phoneset? I guess what I'm hoping for is something like a CPND entry for 10-digit numbers that aren't programmed in the switch. :) Wishful thinking, huh?

~ Mike

Reply to
Michael Andrews

Here's kind of a dumb way to do it...

I have an M3904 on my desk. If I hit the "Directory/Log" button and select "Personal Directory" I can add a name and number into the phone itself so, when I dial from my mobile phone for example, it will show what I entered as the name, in this case "Me From Outside".

Adding all the numbers to each phone is not feasible, though, with the amount of people we have on-site.

~ Mike

Reply to
Michael Andrews

What kind of system is this? We have a solution for Norstar & BCM at the following link

formatting link

Reply to
Console.NET

It's a Nortel Option 61C. I don't believe your solution would do what I need since we have no problem getting the number from telco to display on the set. I just need it (the PBX) to display on the phoneset the name that I've associated with the number. None of the people that really "need" this feature are in ACD queues either.

I was actually thinking that maybe I could go about it using Incoming Digit Conversion (IDC). Would it be possible to take the phone number and convert it to a 4 digit extension which I have a CPND entry for in the switch? Just a thought...

~ Mike

Reply to
Michael Andrews

This is a turn in direction, but it may lead you to some workaround and it may fir in with your IDC idea

Consider these two prompts in the telephone's CLS: CNDA + DNDD will present the callers information to the set (which you know is lacking). CNDD + DNDA will present the "dialed" number info to the set.

Where I am heading is this: If Important Customer Mr. Smith was told to call a certain DN and trivial customer Mr. Jones was told to cal a different DN...you could build those DNs with their names and if they were both permanently forwarded to Sally Servant's DN, she would see the "called DN" and know if it were Smith or Jones. You are only limited by the number of Smiths and Jones before you ran out of DNs. There are a number of possibilities there .

Reply to
GHTROUT

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.