Alteon 2208 - health link problem

Model: 2208 Software: 22.0.2

I have Health configured for Link thus, /c/slb/group 1 health link add 1

and the links (Ports 3 & 4) are up,

> A2208-top_S3F7 - Configuration# /info/link

------------------------------------------------------------------ Port Speed Duplex Flow Ctrl Link

----- ----- -------- --TX-----RX-- ------ 1 10/100 any yes yes down 2 10/100 any yes yes down 3 100* full* yes* yes* up 4 100* full* yes* yes* up 5 10/100 any yes yes down 6 10/100 any yes yes down 7 10/100 any yes yes down 8 10/100 any yes yes down 9 1000 full yes yes down 10 1000 full yes yes down

• = value set by configuration; not autonegotiated.
> A2208-top_S3F7 - Information#

but the Health status stays FAILED,

> A2208-top_S3F7 - Information# /info/slb/dump

Real server state: 1: 7.1.1.1, 00:00:00:00:00:00, vlan 0, port 0, health 1, FAILED .... Redirect filter state: 1: action redir group 1, health 3, backup none, vlan any thash auto, idsgrp none proxy: enabled layer 7 parse all packets: enabled real servers: 1: 7.1.1.1, backup none, 0 ms, group ena, FAILED ....

The Link LED for the relevant port (=4) is on.

I have restarted it but this didn't help.

Are there any other dependencies for getting Health to be UP?

Regards, MM

Reply to
markh
Loading thread data ...

Mark,

I assume you are setting up IDSLB?

The real server number should match that of the port to which it is attached:

i.e. In your configuration the real server number is 1 which means that the status of port 1 will be used for the health check.

If your IDS server is attached to port 3 or port 4 then the real server number should be 3 or 4 depending on which one it is actually attached to.

Your probably already aware but the IDS server has to be directly attached to the Alteon (or else use SNMP health checking)

Regards,

Richard

Reply to
Richard Golding

Hi Richard,

Thankyou very ... you're exactly right. Your advice helped me get it going. The Alteon guy told me that the real server number to physical port number implicit & inflexible binding was no longer the case in current software (22.0.2) but I'm not so sure.

Regards, MM

Reply to
markh

Hi,

Owing to the great success last time I have another question:)

I turned on filter logging, /c/slb/filt 1 ena action redir group 1 rport 0 vlan any /c/slb/filt 1/adv log ena /c/slb/port 3 filt ena add 1

& filter 1 fires beautifully. I actually want port 3 to be dot1q so I did this, /c/port 3 tag ena

Now the filter doesn't fire (when I send the same PING traffic as above).

Do you know why this might be & how I could get this going, please.

Regards, MM

Reply to
markh

Mark,

Check the session table (i/slb/sess/du). If there is already a session for your ping (you should see the source and destination IP address) then it is correct that the filter hits do not increment. The Alteon will check the session table first and if there is already a session then the filter will not fire - instead it will perform the action that is specified in the session table - Which could be allow/deny/redirect etc

Hope that helps?

Regards,

Richard

Reply to
Richard Golding

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.