An idea for a screen

I'm starting to look at options for a new home theater setup, and so far, the idea of a projector is making a lot of inroads for me. With my basement configuration (renovation completed last week, 6'3 high ceiling limitation), I've determined that the ideal screen for 16:9 would be 7'1 x 4' to get a 1.78 ratio. Here's what I thought:

What about using a styrofoam isolation panel cut to the right dimension and painted over to use as a hanged screen? With the limitations I have, I see a lot of advantage with this idea. If I remember correctly, the surface of the panel is smooth, it's very light and can be easily removed if need be. You guys see any drawbacks to this?

Thanks

Denis

Reply to
Deltones
Loading thread data ...

Something I did and it worked out beautifully...

I purchased some actual movie screen material on ebay for under $40, pine wood for framing and black material to wrap the frame. I wrapped each frame piece with the fabric. Then put the pieces together with flat L-brackets. Finally stapled the screen on the reverse side ensuring that the screen was stretched properly--stretched and stapled corner to corner, top to bottom, left to right, diagonally the rest of the way around. In the end, I had a superior looking screen that looked as good as any fixed screen purchased on line for $200 and up. However, I had less than $50 and 2 hrs of work invested.

Reply to
Lane

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.