Want a portable dehumidifier to work with heater fan

I want to run a portable dehumidifier with an external dehumidistat (switch that goes on when the humidity is above a certain level). And I'd like the furnace fan to go on when the dehumidifier does, to circulate the air in my house so it'll dehumidify my whole house. The dehumidifier has to have a manual control to do this, because the ones with electronic controls forget their settings when power goes off, or they have a capacitor so they remember the setting a short time. Am I right that this would be a simple thing to do? Can anyone describe to me how it could be done? I'd get an electrician to set it up, but I'd like to get an idea of how it would work. There are various dehumidistats around. Honeywell makes one that is wall-mounted and directly connected to the house wiring, also one that is an interrupt switch and plugs into a wall outlet. thanks Laura

Reply to
Graven Water
Loading thread data ...

I mean a mechanical control. My tongue got tangled, or my virtual tongue, my fingers.

Laura

Reply to
Graven Water

Dehumidifiers creat heat, mine can raise basement temp 3f. Do you have AC. It depends on size , tightness of house, humidity level and temp of house. If its big leaky and humid you will need a big unit that may cost as much to run as AC and heat your home 2-5 degrees. Dehumidifiers are best when outside air is under maybe 65. You dont need a humidistat outside, its the inside you are doing.

Reply to
ransley

Hi, I don't mean to put the dehumidistat outside my house, but rather on a wall inside the house. "external" meaning external to the dehumidifier's control. You put the dehumidifier on continuous dehumidify, or on a very low humidity setting, and give it power through a dehumidistat switch.

Laura

Reply to
Graven Water

I probably got an answer to this ... Somebody told me what you to is connect the R and G terminals to turn on the fan. So the dehumidistat switch would connect the R and G terminals as well as turning on the dehumidifier. Also they told me that if there's central AC, there would have to be a relay to avoid feeding power to the AC. I don't have AC now but I might get it.

Comments?

Laura

Reply to
Graven Water

A waste of time, as I said to lower humidity maybe 20% 35% will heat up the house maybe 3-4f at maybe nearly the same electric cost as running whole house AC. Only if interior temps were near 68 would this idea make sense as if you lived in Oregon. But if you are warm now, you will get hot running dehumidifiers.

Reply to
ransley

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.