Use of Audio Matrix Mixers in Home Automation

Seems to me that many of the applications of audio explored in this newsgroup

1) revolve around proprietary, closed systems 2) are limited in what they can do or 3) form separate subsystems that are not well integrated with the HA system as a whole.

Here's an approach using audio matrix mixers with voltage controlled amplifiers (VCA's) that is more general and can integrate most all audio parts of a HA system.

formatting link

The mixers I use happen to be made by Ivie. I've been satisfied with the quality of their internal VCA's and their equipment in general. They are often available through eBay for dimes on the dollar. But one could also make them from scratch and(or) forego the volume control and easily build switching-only matrices with relays. (There is often/usually more than one way to control audio volume).

Also revised is a discussion of control hardware for 'ActiveKnob' control:

formatting link

HTH ... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc F Hult
Loading thread data ...

If I understood your page properly, it was focused on mixing inputs. I am looking for blending and controlling output, such as overriding or overlaying of music for other inputs. Any low cost thoughts?

Reply to
Solo Rider

Consider re-reading and thinking about this some more. What is your understanding of the purpose for the 8 or 14 outputs described if not for "blending and controlling output, such as overriding or overlaying of music for other inputs" ?

Any input can be mixed with any combination of other inputs at any ratio and routed to any combination of outputs with the level of each input and each output independently controlled.

Did you find that "a look at the feature list and block diagram [was] particularly useful" ?

formatting link
The concept of a matrix mixer may take a few minutes to digest and to separate from other functions included in commercial mixers such as gating, muting and programming, but it is a powerful concept that can be home-brewed using either mechanical relays and op amps (without level control), discrete semiconductors, IC's, or special-purpose modules.

Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc F Hult

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.