Audio Matrix Switcher

Hi Guys,

I've gone around and around on whole house audio, and think I've decided just to push normal-ol' line level signals around the house. I like the A-Bus stuff, pretty well, but the multi-source keypads are expensive, as are the multi-source hubs.

I've already got stereos in most rooms, and I have a few spare amps around for rooms where I'd prefer in-wall or ceiling speakers with a volume control.

So, I figure a serial-controlled matrix switcher, 8out, 4in or so? Kramer makes an 8x8, which would work fine. And I like Kramer gear, as I've got a good bit of it in my touring video rack.

Anyone have any other ideas? Or shoot, even a home-brew kind of idea?

Thanks. :)

E. Lee Dickinson Entertainment Design and Technology

formatting link

Reply to
E. Lee Dickinson
Loading thread data ...

I have a Xantech ZPR68, which is 8in/6out. I also got the EXP9, which is a 9 zone expander. I only have 2 zone cards currently for 8x8, but I could get more at will.

I do serial control via CQC as it has a native driver for it. Check out all my interfaces here, obviously you need to scroll down to see the a/v ones. The 5 main zones in my house are on the nav-wrapper, so no matter what i'm doing i have access to those controls.

formatting link

Reply to
IVB

I use Ivie 784 and 884 mixers. They are 8x4 channel gangable to Nx8 (eg

40 x 8).

formatting link
They run about $50-$150 each on eBay.
formatting link
New they are $2200 - $2800. (!)
formatting link

They32 mixers and other devices can be controlled from a single com port), optional free Windows control software, optional 0-10vdc input and output volume control using pots or up-down switches, all inputs can be either line or mic (w/ microphone preamps), balanced/unbalanced I/O, phantom mic power, Phoenix-type connectors that accept bare wire, 100db input control range, DC function outputs to control (eg) external relays that follow inputs, built-in 20-20khz adjustable sine wave oscillator, and so on.

The 884+ and 884PW differ from the 784+ and 784PW in that the former also have an automatic mode. Their 8 inputs can gated in any combination with adjustable Number of Open Microphones (NOM), threshold, off attenuation, and release time. This is particularly applicable to HA voice control with multiple microphones where (eg) Shure SCM410 mixers are often recommended/used/sold at $750 for four channels.

formatting link
... Marc Marc_F_Hult
formatting link

[DEFAULT] BASEURL=
formatting link
?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&hl=enModified=208B9338F2A5C601D4
Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.