Shielded or Non-shielded Cat5e Cable???

Hi all

I've just got a new house and am about to run a couple of Cat5e cables to connect the main computers in the house.

I have been given a box of Cat5e FTP cable which is shielded and a few non-shielded faceplates.

I have read you have to use the shielded cable with shielded face pates. Is this true and would it matter if I used it with "normal" faceplates???

Thanks

Reply to
ChrisAmies
Loading thread data ...

don't think iv'e ever seen shielded face plates

Reply to
socko

You don't really need the shield for most applications. I've not yet seen shielded faceplates in use.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Reply to
bruceR

Don't forget to check with local cable suppliers, they're cheaper than the box stores.

Bruce is right about the stranded issue, you don't want to be using stranded wire with anything other than the sort of connectors designed to support it. Most aren't, as they expect to be used with solid core wire.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

As others have responded, there's no pressing reason to use shielded CAT5 for computer networking in a home environment. Shielded CAT5 is appropriate for industrial applications with very high levels of electrical noise such as a factory with arc welders.

There might be some benefit to shielded CAT5 for CAT5 cabling that is pressed into service for analog (not computer) applications such distribution of low-level (not speaker-level) audio. IME, surplus shielded CAT5 is less expensive than 4-pair with shield audio cable but doesn't provide inter-pair shielding.

Another property of shielded CAT5 that might be either a plus or minus is that it is mechanically stronger (it can be pulled harder without damage, better abrasion/cut resistance) but is less flexible -- so you do have to pull harder ;-)

... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

nah, just use UTP (not shielded). check out

formatting link
They have GREAT prices and good stuff. Also the jacks are well priced. I used their tool less cat5e keystone jacks and they worked awesome.

Reply to
RT

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.