PC parallel port (LPT) and voltage

I want to use my pc to imput data when a motion detector detects movement.

I've read that LPT port can handle 5V. But what about current? I'd like to test with a small transformer. The transformer outputs 4.5V with 2.5A. Will that damage the printer port should should I cut the current with resistors?

I have sofware that can poll the status of port status. If the transformer is OK where do I connect the hot and ground wire coming from the transformer?

Reply to
joe
Loading thread data ...

Probably. Using opto-isolators is always a fine idea. But you'd do well to search the web for articles on parallel port interfacing.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

I have some OLD but maybe useful stuff on parallel port HERE:

formatting link
I agree about using opto-isolators. Learn that, and you can interface about anything safely, for $1 or less....

Reply to
TerryKing

Terry's write up on the hardware is helpful, but writing directly to I/O ports is more complicated under modern windows ( W2K, XP, Vista) than under DOS and Win9x.

Here's a detailed, step-by-step How-To for GUI-based programs to control the parallel using Visual Basic 2005 Express Version (a free download from MS). You can also just download the source code.

formatting link
The site that provides the required (also free) .dll file also has links to parallel port programs and programming in Python and Real Basic as well as a

64-bit version of the .dll

formatting link
agree that opto-isolation is highly desireable, even necessary depending on the application. Here are links to interfaces:
formatting link
HTH ... Marc

Visit my updated Home Automation and Electronics Internet Porch Sale at

formatting link

Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Some old but simple parallel port stuff that will work on XP machines.

formatting link
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 00:25:03 -0700 (PDT), TerryKing

Reply to
Si Ballenger

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.