Module modifications - for embedding

Needed: low profile module for embedding in a wall sconce. Starting with a WS467 as the base module, I did the neutral and SSR mods (idobartana.com) using a large 6A SSR. The smaller Crydom SSRs would have been nice but not on hand.

I'll hard wire the module address so I can toss the code selectors, plastic casing, metal front plate and the push-button assembly and then shorten the circuit board since I won't need the code wheels. Then I'll encase the module in epoxy. Because I am using the larger SSR it will be external, bolted to the inside of the metal wall plate as a heat sink. The epoxied module mounts between the wall plate and the metal base of the sconce.

The module minus the SSR can be as small as 40x43x16mm. Add 1mm per side for the outer dimensions of the epoxy block gets 42x45x18mm which is tiny when compared to an appliance, lamp or wall switch module. It's the 18mm dimension I need to be as small as possible.

I have a few questions about proceeding:

1-If I used the smaller Crydom could it be encased in the epoxy as well Do SSRs dissipate much heat?

2-Are there any other components that would be thermally affected by being encased in epoxy. I'm thinking that (R2)1/2Watt 22ohm resistor looks like the only candidate.

3-Should I bother with the epoxy or just use a thin plastic membrane on all six sides ?

My load on the module will be a CFL no more than 16 or 20Watt

Reply to
Pico
Loading thread data ...

IMO, it is naive and potentially dangerous to assume that higher wattage lamps would not be substituted for the low-watt CFLs at sometime in the future on a built-in wall fixture. Eight years from now when you move, what will happen? Will your spouse Tera never get tired of the base-down CFLs failing owing to heat and replace them with incandescents? Or?

The "neutral .. mod" implies that hot and neutral are available. So a relay can be used. For a CFL, a small mechanical relay would be less problematic and potentially safer than an SSR (the SSR may re-trigger into conduction) and heat dissipation is negligible.

You are right to be concerned about failure or damage or fire owing to potting, but note that nothing you can do will restore the module code to being code-compliant in US or Canada (from where you post) so the insulation is for your safety and sense of well-being or satisfaction. How many module dimmer modules have you seen that are completely potted? And if none or few, why are you potting this one ?

HTH ... Marc

(For what it's worth, I have many SSRs and potted SCR's that are excess to my needs, but I would not recommend them for your application.)

Visit my updated Home Automation and Electronics Internet Porch Sale at

formatting link

Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.