LED Security camera heat question

Hi, I've got some wireless CMOS 30-LED security camera's wired in my home, and have noticed they run very hot. After running only a minute or so, you cannot put your hand on it for more than 20 seconds.

I'm reading conflicting information about these cameras, that heat generation is in fact normal, but this seems hard to believe. For a camera that claims to consume 600mA's of power, it seems quite hot whether running in the day or night.

Anyone have any expeirence with these things? I'd like to confirm whether this is in fact the normal behaviour for these things.

Thanks, fsm2k2@yahoo dot com

Reply to
fsm2k2
Loading thread data ...
600ma at what voltage? At 12 Volts, that would be 7.2 watts. That is similar to the power consumed by the smaller 120V Christmas tree lights (the ones common before the mini lights became popular in the 60s. Those would burn your skin. A larger case that transfers the heat to the air better will stay cooler. If this is a small case, I would expect it to get hot (in our terms, still not hot for electronics).
Reply to
B Fuhrmann

Thanks for the reply.

The cameras themselves state:

500mA, 12V 600ma at what voltage? At 12 Volts, that would be 7.2 watts. That is
Reply to
none

Most LEDs require 20 ma to operate (x 30 = 600 ma) plus the camera requirements. The total wattage is likely somewhere around 7 watts - the equivalent of a nighlight.

n> Thanks for the reply.

Reply to
jmj1492

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.