Help with marketing a Home Automation & Media distribution

We have a small and new company and we're stumped on how to describe (in an ad) our Glaucus device.

Briefly it's a non zoned (zoned is OLD tech) UPnP multimedia server (audio & video via Ethernet). it's also a Linux based (setup with a browser, easy too) firewall, router,web server, email server, anti-virus, ftp server, virus & spam filtering, VPN... AND it's supports Squeezebox & ROKU players (and emulates a virtual one it on it's own soundcard) PLUS we have in the works using it as a very powerful & web enabled homeautomation server (like a super JDS stargate (at a similar price!!!) or a ELK Gold...

We use commercial players. The D-Link DSM-320 can play video & audio including DIVX & VOBs.

The Slimdevices & ROKU squeezbox devices work great as music players and we're going to use them as a controller for our home automation (ie alarm status & thermostat control)

Plus most UPnP players will see our Glaucus server. And on the very cheap the Netgear MP101 player (quite a bargin)

We are currently building our own line of inexpensive (approx $150 Cdn) communicating thermostats with a universal RS232/422/485 port (the RCS is nice but 300baud and the Aprilaire is expensive and easy to crash, also it's RS422)

Some of our competition (very expensive too!)

formatting link
approx $8000
formatting link
$2500 to start
formatting link
$27000 server,$4000 per player (we don't have the fancy menus but we can share non copyright video at $250Cdn per player)

Lastly we were thinking of putting on a contest to win some of our products as a way to get traffic to our site

I'd be happy to get any feedback, this marketing stuff is tough.

Bill

snipped-for-privacy@myblueroom.com (my personal email)

US

formatting link

Reply to
William
Loading thread data ...

Looks as though you've got a handle on it. No flame here, friend, but next time may I suggest you prepend "PR:" (press release) or "AD:" (advertisement) to this sort of post. It was pure marketing but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

then you should put AD before every post you make

Reply to
joe

why? I'm not trying to sell anything in these groups like you. your friend

Reply to
joe

I rarely post here, yes to some degree it's an ad but I don't have a handle on it. It's got so many features it's hard to put a it under one title.

Reply to
William

no... he shouldn't

"Robert L Bass" writes:

I didn't read the orig post, so i don't know if it was "pure marketing" but if it was, the difference is that Robert supplies real and topical information. Sometimes that information is about stuff he carries, but so what? I seem to recall him talking well of stuff he

*doesn't* carry as well.

Also a sig line with company info, does not make for the whole post being an ad.

Reply to
Philip Lewis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.