Garden hose automation - suggestions?

Hi guys!

Turns out I am one lazy bastard!

I am just too lazy to walk around and turn on the garden hose... then come back later and turn it off...

Sheesh!

But my Elk M1 has a spare output I could employ to activate a valve, etc.

Home Depot has battery operated digital timers that screw onto an outside faucet, then you attach the hose to it.

Not good enough. I've tried them before!

Anybody have a solution?

I would like to power it externally, as opposed to battery power internally...

Perhaps a normally closed valve that requires, say 12 volts, to hold it open...??

Keep in mind this isn't a sprinkler system, just a faucet on the side of the house. With a hose hooked to it...

Thankx!

Jack :)

Reply to
Jack Edin
Loading thread data ...

Joerg,

I don't need to go anti-siphon, etc, etc.

All I have as a source is a hose-bib...

I looked at the HD website, trying to figure-out which valve Jeff suggested, and see two inline valves that are 3/4". One has both male threads, the other's are both female...

Neither one is designed to work on a hose, but as you said - adapters are available, etc.

I just discovered this:

formatting link
It is an inline valve with a wire sticking out... Designed for hose use!

The picture shows a 3.5mm stereo phone jack on the wire...

Whatever it requires, I'm sure I can adapt electrically...

This is the kind of thing I seek.

I wonder if a local source is available, or if I will have to go mail order...

Thanks for the help!

Jack ;-)

Reply to
Jack Edin

I took the 24V AC valve that Home Depot sells and connected it to an old

24V AC 'brick' power adaptor.

I then plugged the adaptor into an X10 appliance module (you could use any type of module with a relay for power contacts) to control it. This works well. I can walk around with a keyfob to turn on and off the hose, or if I have a sprinkler connected to it have it come on and off via the timer in my controller.

Just make sure you protect the module and the power adaptor from water by putting it in some sort of container or case.

Hope that gives you some ideas that you can build on.

Jeff

Reply to
jr9

Hello Jack,

I don't know what an Elk M1 is but if it has a free timer output that provides 24VAC why not buy a regular sprinkler valve at Home Depot? You can plumb it in with PVC pieces where you can get all kinds of threads to fit faucet and hose. HD has lots of those, too. The valve just has to be level and mounted somewhere solid and where it isn't going to be knocked over by people or pets. Or foxes in our case.

Mind the local code WRT to height of a typical anti-siphon valve.

Regards, Joerg

formatting link

Reply to
Joerg

| I just discovered this: | |

formatting link
| | It is an inline valve with a wire sticking out... Designed for hose use! | | The picture shows a 3.5mm stereo phone jack on the wire... | | Whatever it requires, I'm sure I can adapt electrically... | | This is the kind of thing I seek. | | I wonder if a local source is available, or if I will have to go mail | order...

I just bought the 62032 (which includes two of those valves, a 4 zone controller, and a 4-way hose manifold) at Home Depot for ~$40. This seems to have been a pretty good deal since most of the mail order places I checked charge $60+ for it. (I also had a 10% off coupon and it was a sales tax holiday. :) SmartHome has the extra valves for ~$15 each, though with shipping you might be better off getting the complete system locally if you need only two valves.

The valves are latching and I read somewhere that they use 12V (I haven't measured yet). The controller runs on three AA cells but it may have a charge pump.

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

Joerg,

I just returned from HD with my Orbit watering kit, which includes 2 of the inline garden-hose valves, like below.

I spoke to the company's technician Ryan this morning. He said they require a 200ms pulse at 13 volts to toggle the valve's position.

Okay, if you say so...

He also said it was a two wire affair, yet as pictured my valves have a

3 wire connector. It is a 3.5mm stereo mini-headphone jack...

After a cool drink, I plan to jump in and figure out what it really needs.

As for battery operation - not gonna happen. I will bring it's signal from my Elk panel. Whatever I need to do to interface the valve will be done inside the panel box. So if I need to provide 4.5 volts, or 13 volts... I'll make it happen without the use of batteries!!

One concern I have is not knowing if it is open or closed... And no way to absolutely set it's state one way or another! I can't imagine their engineers built such a device... Ryan was wrong on 1 point, hopefully he's wrong about this too..!

Otherwise this looks ideal, and I'll come back and inform the group how it worked out.

By for now...

Jack :)

Reply to
Jack Edin

Hello Jack,

The web sites of hardware stores are, well, not very good. You have to go to the store to see what they have. Probably 10-20 different valve style including inline for 24VAC. You just need to get some cheap adapters from the plumbing aisle.

I do not like battery operated hose controllers at all. Tried it out eight years ago, never again. The batteries were always dead, plants died etc.. Also, if the valve is latching as Dan said that would scare me. Yes, yes, they usually claim that the low battery detection will always make sure there is enough juice left to close it. But what if there isn't? Will they pay for the clean-up if most of your soil has washed downhill into a neighbor's garage?

Regards, Joerg

formatting link

Reply to
Joerg

Orbit has two valves that would work and screw on to most faucets.

The first runs on 12v dc I believe. That is the one you showed at:

formatting link
The second one from Orbit does not seem to be on their homepage anymore, but it is a Water Master 91704, and it was at HOme Depot last time I was there. It is very similar, but runs on 24V AC, and seems to be a little larger.

Jeff

Reply to
jr9

Hello Jack,

That's the other thing that concerns me. Stereo jacks are notorious for intermittent contact. Guess you've had that on airplanes like I did where you have to jiggle the connector to get sound. So just imagine, valve opens, jack becomes loose, controller says "close" but the valve doesn't get it.

Regards, Joerg

formatting link

Reply to
Joerg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.