FAQ?

Is there an quick reference for z-wave and insteon so that after reading them, I will know the devices I need to accomplish a certain task. The FAQs I could find are manufacturer's marketing stuff and does not go into technical detail.

Reply to
peter
Loading thread data ...

I've just started putting together a home automation 101 page. It's X10/Insteon and it's not done yet.

formatting link
It's still needs work, for instance, I haven't added the section discussing the Wireless APs that you use with the wireless remote and to connect the phases (needed for homes that have two 120v phases).

Reply to
Neil Cherry

the long/short slots on the wall outlet seems to be reversed

one of the things I would love to see is a diagram showing representative devices (remote, controllers, light switch) and signal path showing how radio and powerline signals traveling to/from each device. From this illustration, one should be able to tell that a hand held remote cannot talk to powerline device directly (which I think is the case for insteon, not

100% sure).
Reply to
peter

The diagram implies that RemoteLincs both transmit and receive RF. Is that true?

formatting link
formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston

I beleive so, the devices have to be registered with each other this is not done by the AP's. So it can transmit and receive. If it can receive I think it can have it's device table downloaded.

Reply to
Neil Cherry

I've learned a wee bit more about this. When the remote is awake, it repeats all RF so it's obviously a transceiver. I don't know when its awake or sleeping (maybe Santa or Tony Bennet knows) but assume it stays awake for some period after use.

Smarthome indicates there are more products coming that send/receive RF which are always under power (i.e. not battery powered like the remotes and, I assume, not dimmers that will run afoul of Lutron's patents) which will also repeat all RF so the once diaphanous "dual-mesh network" will eventually become more of a reality.

formatting link
formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.