eu3000is generator

I live in an area where power outage for 2 hours is quite common maybe every other day. I am looking to buy a generator and an automatic transfer switch. so that when the electricity goes I can carry on using my computer maybe 1 split AC, and a fridge freezer. I have recently come across honda EU3000is which I like because of the low noise it claims to make. I would like to know if it is possible to add a automatic transfer switch so that it would start automatically when there is a power outage and stop the generator when there the power comes back.

Are there any generators that have an automatic transfer switch built into the generator?

Can you recommend a good quality Automatic transfer switch? and where I can get the best price for it?

Reply to
jamesp010
Loading thread data ...

I haven't seen any and it's not likely because of how they work. A transfer switch works by wiring a relay into your main circuit box to switch your house off the local power grid and onto your generator when the utility power fails. They are designed to keep your generated power isolated from the local grid so that power company workers don't kill themselves working on lines that they believe are inactive. Transfer switches are usually mounted in a wall box, next to the circuit breaker panel.

You can find a typical wiring diagram here:

formatting link
Good transfer switches have lots of smarts built into them to provide delays to skip small interruptions, to let the generator spin up to speed, to let the utility supplied power come back on for at least a few minutes before switching back and to let the generator freewheel for a minute or so before shutdown.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.