Battery Backup Failing

After the ice storms and outages my X10 Protector Plus security console battery low indicator came on (powered the unit for probably 4 total hours). When I replaced the 9v the light continued to be on. Looks like a wiring problem from the battery harness or else a surge fried the battery backup part of the unit. All other features appear functional.

Any ideas as to what I should look for? Anything I can do with a multimeter and the battery leads? I'm getting 9.5volts out of the battery, but I would have to "snap" the unit apart to check if the wires have come loose.

Reply to
gkamieneski
Loading thread data ...

Check for current flow; none = no connection.

Reply to
Pop`

Pardon me if you know this already but are you sure it's not reporting that a remote sensor has a low battery condition?

I'd bet that: ice storms + alkaline batteries = low voltage being reported that could easily disappear when it warms up some. Alkalines perform poorly in very cold weather.

formatting link
says the following:

"The five beeps you hear from your security console are a low battery indication. If a zone light is flashing, change the batteries in that sensor. If no zone lights flash, replace the battery in the console."

If the beeping continues, try pulling the backup battery again and leaving the console powered down for 10 minutes before resetting the console.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

No, it's definitely the light that indicates that the 9v battery that keeps the zones and devices straight on the console is running low. This is an indoor unit and the batteries are measuring 9.5v across the harness.

Reply to
gkamieneski

Are you measuring the battery voltage "in circuit" with the unit powered up?

I would suggest unplugging the unit with the battery out, letting it sit for

10 minutes and restarting it. I imagine you're trying to avoid that so as not to lose your setup but reading further on the net it seems this unit can get into an "indeterminate" state after being subjected to powerline "blips." That's a fairly common failure mode for X-10. I have a minitimer that has exactly the same symptoms. Reports "low battery" but battery voltage is 9v+ and drains over time. Configuration data is held during power outtages.

I feel your pain if that's the only solution because it's no fun registering the sensors all over again. A battery backup is supposed to save configuration data, not force you to purge it to restore proper functioning.

As someone else suggested, it would be helpful to know if the unit is drawing any current from the battery using some jumpers and a meter that can measure microamps. You might find living with a bum warning light preferable to re-registering all your sensors if you knew the backup was really working and it was just indicator error.

How old are the batteries in your sensors? It's conceivable it was trying to send a low battery signal from a zone that got flagged as a low voltage console battery due to a power blip.

You say you replaced the 9v battery. Did you mean you pulled the old battery and tossed it or put it back in? If you tossed it, was it low?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Yes, with AC power to the unit and the battery installed, I measured

9.5v across the terminals of the battery harness. Not experienced with the multimeter, but if there was a test I could do on the harness that attaches to the 9v, it would save me opening up the unit to look for detached wires (a possibility).

Tossed battery and installed a fresh one. I don't really mind re registering all of the zones and controls, so I will shut everything down and start over.

Reply to
gkamieneski

Left the battery out and the X10 Protector Plus console unplugged for an hour. Unfortunately, as soon as I brought it back online, it stopped recognizing the 9v battery. Guess I'll have to tear it apart to review the battery harness connections.

Reply to
gkamieneski

What's a zone light?

Reply to
Got Chalk

My next "best guess" is that during the storm and the powerblips you got a surge of some sort that popped something on the board. I'd very much doubt if it's the battery harness wires - more likely to be components involved in detecting line voltage and switching in the battery when 110VAC is absent. The battery harness wires usually fail during battery replacement time when you remove the old battery and pull on the harness and the snap connector. I've had 9v connectors break at the middle so it might be something to check. It doesn't seem likely in your case, though, because the light came on long before you fiddled with the battery.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

My fault for not testing the old battery before throwing it away. I had thought that the 9v had drained "normally" during the ice storm power outages, whereas in reality the low battery light may have come on from system board damage. Had I tested the suspect battery (because the low batt light was on) rather than just blindly replace it, and had it tested positively, that would have told me that the problem was with the console's electronics.

Reply to
gkamieneski

It's pretty easy to seize on the wrong suspect in the early part of an investigation, whether it's an electronics problem or a murder case. I did the same hunting down what I thought was a stuck transmitter button on a Palmpad recently, only to find out it was the dread "endless dim" syndrome. It was just as reasonable for you to assume that the battery had drained normally as it was for me to assume I was seeing a repeat of something that had already occurred several times before.

I read a recommendation, IIRC, of letting the alarm unit sit unplugged and without a battery overnight if you want to be sure it resets. I'd try that next as the easiest option to check. Bear in mind it's now possible for you to actually have a harness problem even though initially it was just a reset issue because you've tugged on the battery harness wires and snapped the 9 volt connector a few times. That's all it takes on some equipment, especially the kind without adequate strain relief. Those kinds of secondary, diagnostic-induced problems can drive someone crazy.

My real concern however is whether you can trust an alarm controller that's been zapped hard enough to blow out the backup switchover circuit. I'd test it *very* thoroughly once you got it back on line or look for sale on a new one somewhere. It may have been the only circuit affected but probably not . . .

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.