A economical solution

I'm looking for a solution to my want, anyone with advice/suggestions it's appreciated.

I would like to be able to call home, have a device pickup the call in concert with my answering machine, and I'd like to be able to tell the new box to turn off & then a momment later back on (or just powercycle) a router in my home office

The difficulty I'm seeing (after reading a lot of historical posts in this group) is that the device I want to powercycle (my router actually) sits behind a very nice UPS, which conditions the power (and presumably would eat a standard house wiring x-10 signal)

For the momment, my entire desire is to powercycle that one low-juice sucking device, with something that sits between the UPS and the Router-- and works.. in the future, I can forsee the possibility where I'd like to also power-cycle a computer behind the same UPS- so something expandable would be nice also..

anyone have reccomendations for this situation? the phoneline in, and router device, are about 100ft & two walls apart... and running a cable is not (cough wife) practical.

Reply to
marke
Loading thread data ...

Added bit,

alternately, something that could run pings to the internet, and if fail, reset the power to the router would also work.

my server is pretty good at staying running, the router fails at weird random times... and never when I am home... the wife is sick of being asked to plu/unplug the thing, and she's not always available.

Reply to
marke

I use this for resetting my Stargate & my router remotely.

formatting link

Reply to
BruceR

If you can wait a while for this I have a remote controllable (via TCP/IP) outlet strip that I used to use to restart my remote servers. There are 4 individually controllable outlets. The device connects via standard CAT5 cable directly to your router.

To control it you simply point your browser to its IP address, enter your user name and password and an on-screen display gives you options to turn any or all loads on or off. You can also tell the unit to turn loads off, wait 2 seconds and then restore them. This was really handy when microgremlins would lock up one of my servers.

I don't recall what I paid for it but if you'll contact me in late April (2006) when I return to the USA you can have it for the cost of shipping. I haven't needed it in years since I now use a server farm that's manned 24/7. It's just gathering dust in my garage.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Now *that's* kewl. Some security systems have the ability to hook up a telephone module as well. If you're already using X-10 devices, many will interface with this. If you want to bypass X-10 though, you'll also have to buy a relay board to work with it (and the lower end systems don't have this option). The device from smarthome is a really inexpensive alternative. Excellent!

:-)

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.