VNC via VPN or no VPN?

From what you have revealed about your setup, your pcAnywhere machine is setting there waiting for anyone to connect (or attempt to). That is very bad. With a firewall in place in front of the pcAnywhere PC then you can at least restrict the IP addresses that will be allowed to talk to the pcAnywhere PC. A VPN setup would be even better, but more complicated to set up.

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Reply to
Don Wright
Loading thread data ...

When you use VNC from home to office, how important is it to go through a VPN tunnel? I have used PC Anywhere with simple port forwarding, which seemed to be standard practice a few years ago, but I thought maybe more security is advisable today.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

VNC isn't encrypted in any way, so you'd be well advised to use VPN for it.

Juergen Nieveler

Reply to
Juergen Nieveler

Taking a moment's reflection, Tom Del Rosso mused: | | When you use VNC from home to office, how important is it to go through a | VPN tunnel? I have used PC Anywhere with simple port forwarding, which | seemed to be standard practice a few years ago, but I thought maybe more | security is advisable today.

If you need encryption, then it's more important. However, no VPN is required. Just use the encryption "MSRC4Plugin.dsm" plugin with UltraVNC RC18 ...

formatting link

Reply to
mhicaoidh

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.