what is the best firewall:

- agnitum outpost

- DeerField Visnetic Firewall

- Visnetic Firewall

regards.

Reply to
1634Racine
Loading thread data ...

IMHO I would go with Zonelabs Zonealarm Security Suite. It's basically become checkpoint for your personal box...

-gg-

Reply to
Gray Ghost

They are two different things. VisNetic doesn't offer any outbound app control, so if that's what you want, then it won't do. VisNetic is very good however. I like it myself.

Outpost offers outbound app control but also comes with a lot of silly nonsense and a fair share of bugs. I have used it also, but would not recommend it based on the bugs and their record for not fixing them.

So if you are just putting it on a server and don't need user app control type stuff, then VisNetic is very good. Also, if this is what you are looking for, then an even better one in my opinion would be CHX- I (which is free by the way).

Reply to
Kerodo

In article ,

1634Racine wrote: :what is the best firewall: :- agnitum outpost :- DeerField Visnetic Firewall :- Visnetic Firewall

We'll need to know your set of metrics (measurement functions that assign specific numeric values), and the weighting function used to project from the measurement list into a final score. The decision of which is the "best" is dependant on what you mean by "best".

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Uzytkownik "Gray Ghost" napisal w wiadomosci news: snipped-for-privacy@news.verizon.net...

basically become

it's basic, but what's the best...

Reply to
1634Racine

Best in what way? What operating system? If you simply want to stop *all* externally generating incoming traffic, then the inbuilt firewall in Windows XP sp2 is free and works.

Wayne McGlinn Brisbane, Oz

Reply to
Wayne

None of the above. Cisco PIX.

Reply to
I am a Sock Puppet

None of the above. In my opinion, I found Sygate to be the best. It provides the expected computer security. I have never had a single issue (problem) with it in 4-yrs. Some knowledge of ports and protocols is required for proper setup. Casey Unofficial Help:

formatting link
Sygate Forums:
formatting link
Users Guide and Quick Start Guide:
formatting link
Compare SPF Pro and SPF Free (See what's inside each one)
formatting link
d/l
formatting link

Reply to
Casey Klc

LOL

Yes, and how many classes to learn how to configure it correctly. Oh and how much are you paying for your PIX?

-gg-

Reply to
Gray Ghost

I consider most of the plugins it comes with to be non-essential. And silly. I can't name them now since I'm not using Outpost, but take a look at them and see if you really need any of them. I didn't.

As far as bugs go, there has been a shutdown bug for ages. Outpost crashes at Windows shutdown and leaves error messages in event viewer. While not critical, it is amazing that they can't seem to fix it in ages. It has suffered from shutdown problems since 2.1, either crashing outright or failing to release registry handles at shutdown. Just sloppy and poor programming.

When you report problems to them, they insist that you need to download their debug plugin nonsense and debug it for them. I told them that's not my job. It's their job to debug their software before releasing it to paying users.

Also some of the rule logic seems flakey. For example, I had a program listening on a UDP port and when random packets came in it popped up to ask me for permission, so I blocked incoming packets only for that app on that port. Subsequently, Outpost proceeded to block outbound packets from that app on that port too, which is not what I wanted at all. Just nonsense.

There are numerous other oddities and problems, some of which have been fixed recently, but my experience with it leads me to believe that many of the problems will never be resolved.

Many people swear by Outpost, but I find it to be a bug ridden sloppy program. I would not recommend it.

Reply to
Kerodo

Kerodo news: snipped-for-privacy@news.west.cox.net napisal [-a] [.......]

could You tell something more precisely

Reply to
1634Racine

The ad filter might not be essential, but the active content filter is definitely useful since ActiveX, Javascript and Java are a security risk.(It's advisable to disable ActiveX in IE's internet zone, of course. Even better: replace IE with Firefox.) Likewise the email attachment filter.

Funny, I've never had these problems in years. OP 2.7 is running on my computer very smoothly.

Reply to
Thomas Ludwig

I believe that. It is always amazing how something runs on one system and doesn't on another. Never ceases to amaze me. So sure, it's possible that it works fine on your system without problems. That's great in fact. There are other users who get nothing but BSODs with Outpost, a well known fact. Others experience other problems. All it takes is a quick read thru the Outpost forum to see some of the odd things going on.

I have had the shutdown problem here for many moons though, even on a clean install of Win2k, and also other problems that bothered me enough to stop using it. But the bottom line is, if it works ok for you, then you should go ahead and use it. I have other firewalls that I've used here that caused unreconcilable problems on other people's machines too, including BSODs. One was Kerio 2.1.5. I never had a single problem with it here, but a friend can't run it. Why? I have no idea. :)

Reply to
Kerodo

...take a look

formatting link
....not a market leader but absolutly tecnhology leader.... for a PIX you haveto pay too much.. yes.. yes...

Reply to
Smax

Jesus you'd have to be pretty dumb to think Cisco PIX is a good firewall, hell most people don't even consider them a firewall anymore - just an overpriced linux appliance.

Those clavister boxes look nice, how do they compare to the sonicwalls?

Reply to
Mark

PIXes don't run Linux.

They're different.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Reply to
Smax

Smax news:bWDPe.31833$ snipped-for-privacy@twister1.libero.it napisal [-a]

it's a best "soft firewall" [ -> for download from

formatting link
] for home or "hardware firewall" .... ??? :)

Reply to
1634Racine

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.