Outlook can't access server unless I disable NIS firewall

I am running Outlook 2000 sp-3 on a Windows 2000 machine.

Suddenly one day it can't access email unless I disable my Norton Internet security (2005) firewall, in which case it works fine. Outlook is definitely on the list of permitted programs.

Any ideas what else to try? Thanks!

Reply to
penguin
Loading thread data ...

Then you have the solution already. Congratulations.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Gee thanks. Unfortunately, the solution isn't all that workable, as one is supposed to have a firewall for protection, is one not?

Being that I was just fine until a few weeks ago (just about the time I got a warning about the Sober virus, in fact), obviously something has changed somehow. How do I locate and adjust that setting somewhere?

Reply to
penguin

Why use an outgoing personal firewall that stops your apps from working? Try reading:

formatting link
formatting link
Wayne McGlinn Brisbane, Oz

Reply to
Wayne

[ potentially helpful hints hidden after this rant ]

Firewalls, and especially personal firewalls which in many systems run with the same privileges as the user(s), are mostly hype. They do have their place, but not every computer system needs one. Worrying about bugs and trojans in the programs you use and trust makes more sense than those "someone is trying to hack you!!" messages seen on some systems. And the ones who actually gives the information you need to evaluate if it's actually an attack at all will typically scare even an average CS major (which actually says more about the average CS major...).

If you can remove all settings that relate to Outlook and then have NIS report exactly how Outlook attempts to connect with your server, then maybe you see what (if anything) has changed. My best guess is Outlook is configured to use a certain host name, and first time you ran it, you were prompted to allow a connection to the _IP address_ matching the host name -- and now your ISP has moved the service to a different IP address (while keeping the host name).

Reply to
Eirik Seim

"penguin" wrote in news:1138832934.871974.188870 @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

You might try searching through this newsgroup over the last several weeks:

symantec.customerservice.general

It sounds like there is an update that Norton put out to its firewall rules that have blocked email access. There was also a link given that allows you to clear and reset your rules. It looks to be quite involved.

Reply to
Frank Hahn

One is not. There are other ways to protect your computer.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

I have looked through those. Program scan, allowing Outlook etc don't help. To re-install I'd have to dig up my license key. I think I agree with the folks who say it's a lot of nerve for them to releae defective updates & make me waste so much time reinstalling. Time to look into other products but the fellow I buy my hardware from recommends it. I was going to say - likes it - but not necessarily. He said 05 is buggy & would have told me to stay with 04! (Possibly he doesn't have time for a lot of research...)

Reply to
penguin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.