IPSEC ALG

I have no background in networking so was hoping comeone can help answer some questions in layman's terms.

I have noticed the following custom service on my Westell 327W router. My DSL provider (verizon) states it was not installed as part of their service. I recently installed Norton Internet Security and am trying to determine if it was cretated as part of that program's installation process. I have not heard back yet from Symantec. Here's the service description

Service Name Service Mode Host Device IPSEC ALG Client Dynamic

Port 1 Protocol: TCP/UDP Global Port(s): 500 Base Host Port: 500

I have no idea what this service is supposed to do. I don't recall it being present the first time I setup my DSL service, and it is defined as a custom service. I did not add the service.

I would appreciate it if someone could explain to me what this does. can I delete it? I am trying to setup placeshifting (TV) with a home pc and am experiencing difficulty getting the remote server to see the home PC (Port 80 unreachable) even though I added a custom service for port forwarding on port 80, disabled the router firewall, and ensured windows xp firewall had exceptions for the remote software, and set up a static IP on the pc with the tv card.

Appreciate any help that can be offered.

happy holidays

dts

Reply to
dtshedd
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.